Goodbye

Orange eyes (Rain)

I didn't really understand what this meeting was all about, but seeing my parents in chains helped me realise the gravity of what they'd done. No matter how many times Tilden told me I still couldn't bring myself to believe it, I've always thought that I somehow deserved what happened to me, that I'd done something wrong, but then I'd be the one in chains, wouldn't I? I was finally able to see that they were the ones in the wrong, it felt like a weight off my chest, an oppressive binding finally unravelled.

I watched as the Alphas and Lunas made their way out of the meeting room and my parents were grasped onto, getting led out of the room as well, to their punishment as Tilden called it. My father just glared at me, the cloth still in his mouth meant only muffled sounds could be heard. My mother was still crying and pulled against those holding her, looking at me almost desperately. "Please, I know I deserve the punishment, but let me hold my baby once more, please!" she begged in a sob and threw herself in my direction, but her chains wrenched her back.

Dad... I don't think I'm going to get used to calling him that for a long while, he looked at me expectantly, as if waiting for an answer.

I could see her upset and I couldn't help but feel it, she was still my mother, despite the cruel words and abandoning me, that bond between mother and pup was so fragmented and weak, but it was still there. I didn't understand her words though, please yes, and punishment, but the others were lost to me. As usual I turned to Tilden for translation, he was able to convey the meanings of words to me with ease, most of the time anyway.

"She wants a hug Rain." Tilden informed me, looking annoyed at the fact, his dark blue eyes staring at her intently, his hands on my arms squeezing, although I think not on purpose. He seemed protective of me, he had been earlier in the meeting when my father had spoken, I'd never heard such a roar, felt such fury in his aura. Sometimes I seem to forget that he will be the alpha soon, I guess I see a much more caring and sensitive side to him than others.

Why would she want a hug though? My mother, who had spat vile words at me, just as father did, and although I don't recall her hitting me, leaving me to die in an injured state only three weeks old, not responding to my pained, desperate cries hurt me even more than my father's blows.

"Why?" I asked him in a confused whisper.

"She's sorry, your still her pup, I think seeing you made her remember that after all these years, before you were just a memory but she can't deny what's right before her eyes."

I looked to her, blue eyes shining with unshed tears, her cheeks streaked with more, I could see a flicker of a mothers love in her eyes, something I'd wished for, for so long; a sign of acceptance. My throat tightened and breathing became a little difficult, my eyes warmed and stung. I pulled Tilden more against my chest and pressed my face into the back of his neck, I did want to hug her, but I also didn't, the thought made me sad.

I felt a gentle hand on my shoulder and glanced over at my brother. "We can both hug her goodbye, hmm?" he suggested in a soft voice, a caring smile directed at me on his lips.

"Brother hug too?"

"Yes Rain." he nodded and stood from the sofa, holding a hand out for me. I gave Tilden a squeeze and nuzzled his neck before sliding out from under him, standing and taking Thion's offered hand. He led me over to our mother and she looked up at me with wide eyes, my father who was by the door stepped back a little as I came closer. I looked down at the both of them, the last time I'd seen them I was so small, they'd towered over me, but now I was the bigger one, I was stronger. The fear I'd felt about them dulled, they couldn't hurt me again even if they weren't in chains, they were nothing to be scared of anymore.