Happy Birthday Part 4

Deep blue eyes (Tilden)

Mum started to bring the food out and placed it down on the fold-up tables she'd covered in tablecloths. All the kids were obviously eager for some food and I chuckled a little in amusement as I saw all the pups watching their grandma go back and forth from the kitchen to the buffet-style table she'd created, the eighteen heads turning left and right in unison, like they were watching a game of tennis, Neymar somewhere amongst the mass of cousins.

Rain got the first plate of food since it was his birthday, Thion as well. I had to go and get Rain's though as he was reluctant to part with Blossom and I caught Thion looking fondly at his twin brother as we pilled food onto plates.

"How is he doing?" Thion inquired softly, a worried edge to his tone.

We both stood and watched Rain for a few moments and I felt a yearning in my chest at how he stared at the sleeping Blossom in his arms before glancing at all my cousins with a mix of longing and protectiveness.

I sighed and looked down at the table, continuing to put a little of each onto two plates, one for me and one for Rain. "His past still haunts him and it's been getting him down recently. He sleeps a lot, has a fluctuating appetite and has been experiencing some mood swings." I told Thion, very concerned for the wellbeing of my mate. "I've made an appointment with the Doc for a few days' time, I just... I feel so useless." I confessed quietly, hating that I couldn't do anything to make Rain feel better.

A hand squeezed my shoulder and my eyes flickered to Thion, a gentle smile forming on his lips. "I'm sure he doesn't see it that way Tilden, having you beside him means so much to him, and I know you've taken care of him when he couldn't, so for that I thank you."

He patted my shoulder once more before heading back to his seat and I sighed heavily, picking up Rain and I's plates and doing the same.

"Tilden okay?" Rain asked me when I sat down beside him.

"Yes, Rain," I murmured back and kissed him softly, a surprised and pleased hum coming from him at the unexpected kiss.

I set my plate on my lap and held Rain's in my hand, the other holding a fork. I turned more towards him and slowly began to feed him as his hands were occupied. I'd made sure to choose his favourite foods but included a few new ones I'm sure he'd like.

At first, he seemed a little reluctant to eat and hesitated when I put the fork to his lips but parted them after a second or so. "Good job." I praised in a whisper, smiling softly when my words caused him to puff out his chest a little, a purred growl rumbling from it.

I scooped up a piece of flaky fish coated in a thick roux sauce and offered it to him next. His eyes lit up at the taste and he licked his lips after. "Water creature, yes?" I smiled fondly at his accurate guess and nodded briefly.

"Yes Rain, it's called a fish, good job." I cooed with pride and he beamed, eagerly taking another mouthful, and another, until his plate was empty.

I felt such relief and happiness that I'd managed to get him to eat a full meal, I was bursting with the need to shower him with affection to show him how proud of him I was.