Chapter Thirty-Nine

I have never been to the UK so please just let me know if any locations are wrong.

Saturday morning, the LAX airport was crowded with travelers traveling since summer was near. Ember wheeled a suitcase as she followed closely behind Adonis. She helped him pack three bags, one held his shoes, another held his clothing and the last one held his toiletries. Even though he told her that she didn't have to be extra, she made sure everything was organized and packed neatly in those bags. It grinds her gears when things aren't neatly organized.

"Are your parents here yet?" Ember asks.

"Yeah, we got about thirty minutes before the flight leaves." Adonis placed his bags down near the seating area where he was meeting his parents. He turned to her catching the forced smile on her face, "You can always change your mind and come with me."

Ember shook her head as she wrapped her arms around his neck, caressing the back of his head with her hands, "As much as I want to, I can't. I don't want to be a distraction. Besides, I have a campus tour, and my aunt and mom would probably have a heart attack if I even tried to go anywhere out of the country without them around."

Ember's mother already disapproved of her staying nights with him alone. When Ember first told her, she looked a little upset about it. There wasn't much that her mother could say because Ember was almost legal. She promised her mother that she was being careful this time. There would be no more pregnancies until they were older and actually ready to start a family.

He snaked his arms around her body and pulled her closer, "I'm sorry that I won't be there for your tour. I promised..."

"Adonis, it is okay, I understand. I just want you to promise me that you'll call me as soon as you land or when you're settled in."

"All right you two love birds, we got a flight to catch." Ricky interrupted.

Ember hadn't noticed his parents and Paisley approaching. Glancing over towards them, she smiles, "Good morning, Mr. and Mrs. McKnight."

"Good morning, Ember." Ricky spoke as he patted Adonis on the shoulder.

"Morning you two." Katrina says with cheerfulness.

Last night at the dinner, Katrina gave her the most sincerest apology. Ember was shocked because she never expected that to happen. Paisley on the other hand, didn't speak. She never spoke to Ember and Ember never spoke to her. When they were in a room together it was always some tension and death stares being thrown. She bypassed the two of them without a word.

"Your mother sounds extremely happy this morning."

"She's just excited about getting out of California for a while."

"Who wouldn't? It get's boring when you've lived here all your life, seeing the same scenery every single day. Summertime is great with all the events we have but it's nothing like exploring new places, learning new cultures."

Adonis smiles at her, "If you were to travel, where would you go?"

"Anywhere other than California."

"It's time to go, Adonis." Ricky says.

"All right. I promise, I'll FaceTime you as soon as I land."

"I love you."

He passionately kisses her lips, "I love you more. See you soon."

A wave of sadness washed over Ember while she watched him collect his bags and follow his family towards the flight. Once he was out of sight, Ember turned on her heel and exited the crowded airport. Once outside, she traveled towards her car.