Chapter Seven

Sweat dripped from his body as he punched the punching bag. Music blasted through his headphones which had Adonis hyped. He felt energized today. It was something that he hasn't felt in a while. It was about three in the morning so the gym was empty except for a couple that was exercising on the other side.

Adonis felt a light tap on his shoulder. He quickly turned around seeing a girl about his age standing there. He removed his headphones, waiting for her to say what she wanted but when she didn't he sighed.

He'd encountered so many weirdos on a daily and he really wasn't in the mood to deal with it.

"What's up?" He asked.

"You're beautiful." She blurted.

Adonis wrinkled his forehead in confusion, "Thank you?" He said more as a question than a statement.

"I'm so sorry. I just saw you working out and I remembered you from fight night. You have such a good talent. I'm Marissa by the way." She introduced herself.

"Nice to meet you, Marissa." Adonis said.

"Oh my God, he said my name and I touched him." Marissa says in a high pitched voice.

Adonis looked at her confused. He was hoping that she would leave but she didn't. Instead she started punching the bag beside him. He let out an annoyed sigh and moved over to the weights. Thankfully she didn't follow him. While he lifted weights, Adonis could feel a presence again. He quickly sat up, ready to run Marissa away but the anger on his face softened.

"Ember?" Adonis questioned.

"Hi."

"What you doing out so late? We got school in a few hours." Adonis asked as he examined her. She wore a regular T-shirt with some sweatpants and sneakers. Her hair was pulled back into a messy ponytail. Somehow she still managed to look cute.

"I couldn't sleep and you told me that you would be at the gym." Ember said. Her parents were arguing nonstop and instead of staying and listening, she snuck out and took an Uber.

"Something wrong?" Adonis stood to his feet, hovering over her.

Ember's eyes traveled from his plumped lips, to his bare torso, then back up to his chocolate brown eyes, "Nope, not at all."

"I feel like you lying to me, ma. I'll let it slide though. So you came all the way over here at three in the morning to see me because you couldn't sleep?" Adonis smirked.

"Relax. I was bored out of my mind." Ember says.

"You still came to see me though. A nigga feel special." He tells her.

Ember kissed her teeth but smiled, "You really be feeling yourself."

Ember walked over to the yoga mats and took a seat, "Don't let me interrupt your workout."

Adonis checked the time on his phone as he laid down beside her on the mat, "It was time for me to stop anyway."

"How long have you been here?" Ember asked.

"An hour probably."

"You've been working out for an hour?" Ember asked.

"Nah. I was training."

"Oh. When's your next fight?"

"Next Friday. I want you there." Adonis said.

Ember smiled but that's when she remembered that her parents were dragging her to her cousin's fight, "I can't. My cousin actually fights now too. My parents insist that I go."