Chapter Forty

Ember sings along to Pressure by Ari Lennox as she curls her hair. In a long time this has been one of the best moods she's ever been in.

"I can't believe I let you and Adonis talk me into this, Ember. That's the longest flight I've ever been on in my life." Sahara says from the other room.

"And we're just in time for fight night." Ember smiles.

Aunt Draya kisses her teeth, "Let her live, Sahara. She's about to spend half of her life in college. She deserves to at least have all the fun she can this summer."

"That's the plan, aunt Draya. My whole life has been dedicated to school, working overtime and drama. So this summer, I'm outside."

"Oooh I'm outside too. What y'all be saying? Hot girl summer?"

Ember laughs at her aunt, "Aunt Draya."

"And we're not going to follow her around all night. Adonis will keep her safe. We are going to do some sightseeing while we're here. Maybe we'll find you a new man so you won't be so uptight, Sahara."

"Draya, please. I haven't even divorced the ain't shit one I had yet."

"Have you heard anything from him?"

"No. He's probably lying low to find a way to get out of going to prison if he hasn't already. Avoiding him is impossible because we have kids together." Sahara lowered her voice but Ember could still hear her since the music had stopped.

"I doubt that Ember's going to want anything to do with him now. I know Justin probably misses him."

"And I understand if she doesn't want anything else to do with him. He traumatized my child for life. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. We've been going to therapy together, sometimes I let her go on her own but I'm still worried about her. She's been through a lot and I don't mean to be hard on her. I'm just looking out for her, making sure she's safe."

"I get that but sometimes she just needs a little space. She'll come talk to you if something's bothering her." Aunt Draya says.

Ember sighs. She's lost count of how many times she had been telling everyone that she's okay and happier than she's ever been. Yes, in the past she was hurt but the only thing that anyone could do was move forward. Seeing the therapist, and the love and support that she received from her mom, aunt and Adonis were helping her get through everything. She refused to let anything or anyone ruin her happiness.

After finishing her curls, Ember stepped out of the bathroom and into the bedroom where her aunt and mother were sitting. They got a two bedroom hotel to share.

"So, how do I look?" Ember asks, interrupting their conversation.

"Ember you look gorgeous." Sahara compliments.

"That dress." Aunt Draya says.

"I got it from poster girl after begging mom to let me get it. Thanks mom."

"Mhm."

"Are you two coming to the fight with me? I don't want to go alone."

"We're not letting you go anywhere out here by yourself, Ember. Besides, I'm here to support my future son-n-law too." Sahara says.

Ember smiles. Lately Adonis and her mother had been getting along well. Her mother and aunt Draya treated him as if he were their real son, giving him lecture's whenever he got out of line.

"The fight starts in an hour. We have to get good seats." Ember states.

"Why don't we have front row or backstage?" Aunt Draya asks.