Chapter Twenty-Nine

Explicit content towards the end of the chapter.

Ember sipped from her cup as she sat in the booth with her legs stretched across Adonis's lap. Her back rested on the wall. They were sitting in the bakery that was located inside of the bookstore because Ember wanted cake, again. Not only that, she went book shopping. After buying half of the urban books on the shelf, they decided to sit in the booth to talk. They were supposed to be in school, but school was cancelled because of a bomb threat.

Ember told her mother that she was just going for a run, but she really wanted to see Adonis.

"That couple is in a very heated argument." Ember pointed out.

Adonis followed her eyes towards the couple that sat not too far from them.

"By the way that she's clinching that cup, she's going to dump that water on him." Adonis says.

"She's not going to do that."

"Want to bet?"

Ember thought for a moment. Every time her and Adonis made a bet, she always lost against him, "No."

He chuckled at her, "Afraid that you are going to lose?"

"I only lose because you are always cheating."

"That's cap. Just watch." Adonis tells her.

They watched the couple continuing to argue. After a few minutes, the woman stood to her feet, cup in hand, throwing all the water in the man's face. She stormed out of the bakery and he chased behind her while dabbing his face with a napkin.

Ember laughed, "What in the love and hip hop?"

Adonis laughed too, "I told you."

"That's so embarrassing. If we ever get in an argument, please save it until we are in private."

"Nah, before we argue, I'd rather sit and talk it out." Adonis tells her.

Ember smiled a little. She would probably cry because she was a big baby when it came to Adonis.

"I feel like a weirdo just watching these people. Want some?" Ember offered him some of her soda. It was mixed with every type of soda from the fountain.

"What kind is it?"

"Just taste it."

Adonis took the cup from her and placed it up against his lips. He took a sip, and made a face, "That's nasty. What is that?"

"Every soda in the fountain." Ember laughs. Before Adonis could respond, Ember's phone started to vibrate. She glanced on the table at her phone, seeing that it was her mother calling. She kissed her teeth before answering.

"It doesn't take that long to go for no run." Sahara says.

Ember immediately started to breathe like she was out of breath, "I'm sorry mom. I got tired along the way and needed to take a quick break. I'm at the park and I'm on my way back."

"Get here, now."

The line ended and Ember rolled her eyes, "I really don't want to spend the day with her."

It felt like her mother was dragging her everywhere that she went just so Ember could not have any alone time with Adonis. It was starting to become annoying.

Adonis chuckled as he pulled her closer to him, "Leave that window open tonight. I can stay as long as you want me to."

Since he had no plans tonight, he was free. When it came to Ember, he made time regardless. She smiles, pressing her cool lips against his, "Bring lots of condoms."