Chapter Twelve

X shook his head as he listened to his brother give names of the men that wanted to do business with him. Each name, he declined. None of them could be trusted.

They were having a meeting amongst brothers for the second time of the month. It wasn't something they did often but X wanted to see where they stood with things.

"You're turning down some big profit." Ezra pointed out.

"Working with them could be the downfall of my operation. Half of the niggas you mentioned got a long history with the feds." X continued.

Ian nodded in agreement, "I think it's best that we continue this with the people that we already have. People that we can we can trust."

X didn't mind about turning down deals no matter how much they were offering. They were better safe than sorry.

Ezra nodded. Even though he didn't agree, he would have to. They had been in the business together since their teen years. To keep the peace he always agreed. They didn't need any drama amongst them. It was business.

"I got to get going. My wife wants me home before dinner." Ian said as he stood to his feet.

"Be safe." X tells him before he left the room.

Ezra leaned back in his seat, thinking to himself for a moment, "Have you been out there to fight night, lately?"

X shook his head, "Nah. Nobody I know had a match."

"Hm, I saw Ember there." Ezra says.

"Ember? She was probably there with her friend, Namiko." X shrugged.

"I went to talk to one of the fighters in the locker room that night and Ember was there." Ezra says.

"What you saying man, don't beat around the bush." X said.

"Ember was with Adonis." Ezra said.

X stood to his feet, angry now. His anger was getting the best of him, "You sure she was with Adonis?"

Ezra nodded, "Look, I don't mean to be getting all up in her business but I thought that you should know. That family is the real enemy."

"Uncle Ezra? Hey dad!" Ember says as she slightly tapped on the door.

Ember's bonnet was on and she wore her pajamas which told X that she was getting ready for bed. She felt as if she had interrupted something considering that there was tension in the room. Her father didn't look too happy but Ezra held a smirk on his face.

Ezra stood to his feet, said his goodbyes and left to leave the two of them alone.

"Let me talk to you real quick." X motioned for his daughter to step inside of his office. Once she did, X closed the door and locked it behind her.

"Is something wrong?" Ember asked with confusion.

X sighed deeply, "The night that you asked to go over to Namiko's, did you?"

Ember nodded, "Yes."

"What did you two do?" X questioned his daughter.

"We just went and got something to eat and watched movies at her house. Did I do something wrong?" Ember asked. She couldn't let him know that she was lying.

X studied his daughter. He could tell when she was lying to him, "I'm not your mother. You can't just lie to me Ember."

"I'm not lying."

X took a seat in his chair across from his daughter. He chuckled lowly, "Let me tell you a story about Ricky."

Ember remained quiet, she refused to fold. She couldn't believe that uncle Ezra told her father after he said that he wouldn't. Ezra was never the type to keep secrets from his brother especially when it came to Ember. She was the favorite niece, the favorite out of all the children. They saw her as innocent and they expected her to remain that way.