Chapter Twenty-Three

Ember pushed the elderly woman, Daisy, that sat in her wheelchair inside of her empty room. After their walk outside, Daisy had become tired and wanted to rest. This was Ember's first time volunteering at a nursing home, and she had to admit that she was already in love with it. Daisy was so sweet, and very talkative.

"I didn't get your name." Daisy says even though Ember had told her six times already.

Daisy had Alzheimer's, so she forgot things.

"My names Ember."

"Oh, you are so beautiful. My grandson is visiting today, he's so lovable." She cooed.

Ember only smiled, because Daisy's grandson visited her earlier and every hour she became excited because she thought that he would be visiting her again.

"Come on, let's get you in bed." Ember says as he gently helps Daisy out of her wheelchair.

"Will you be back tomorrow?" Daisy looked at Ember with pleading innocent eyes.

Ember smiled, "I'll be here bright and early."

Daisy smiled back, as she slowly limped over to her bed, allowing Ember to guide her, "Are you married?" She went on to ask.

"No ma'am. I'm seventeen, too young for marriage." Ember tells her.

"Oh dear, there is no such thing. I got married at your age. Me and Walter had the time of our lives. He's here, have you seen him?" Daisy pointed in the chair beside her bed.

No one was there.

Before Ember was introduced to Daisy, the staff had already filled her in. Daisy took Walter, her husband everywhere that she went. He had passed away in a car accident in his mid-thirties but Daisy couldn't remember that. If she did, she would be in tears, screaming. It happened often, but thankfully it didn't happen during Ember's volunteer day. She wouldn't know what to do.

"You say Walter? Tell me about him." Ember said.

Daisy smiled, as she lay in the bed, while Ember pulled the covers up over her, "Well, I may be old but I remember that like it was yesterday. We met at a casino. I was too young to get in but my best friend bribed the security guard. Keep that between us."  She says those last words lowly.

Ember laughs a little. That reminded her of that night Namiko got her into the fight club. They did not meet that night, but that was Ember's first time setting eyes on Adonis.

Daisy continued, "They were sitting at the table playing blackjack. My best friend knew how to play that, not me. I wasn't into gambling. Walter sat there and won every game with that cigar hanging from the side of his mouth. He was telling jokes and making everybody laugh. He didn't notice me sitting at the table, until he caught me staring at him. I was so embarrassed."

As Daisy rambled, her eyelids were slowly shutting. She was fighting her sleep to tell her and Walters story.

"But he smiled. Later that night we ran into each other and he introduced himself and invited me out on a date. After that, we became inseparable. He loved me like no other man could. Do you have a husband?" Daisy asked with a smile.

"I'm not married, yet."

"Oh. Well, the young gentleman is quite lucky to have you, you're such a sweetheart. I hope he treats you like a queen." After those words, Daisy's eyes shut, her chest heaving up and down. She had fallen asleep, just like that.