21.

Amora

"Janet Hong, no tardies!" Mr. Hall called out, a smile on his face as he looked up from the folder in his hand.

"Travis Patterson 38 tardies, by far the most tardies in the class!" He continued, looking to the boy upfront.

The class erupted into applause, ushering Travis too stand up and walk over towards the podium.

"Gosh this is so unexpected, I don't even have a speech prepared!" Travis gushed, leaning against the podium.

Mr. Hall stared at him in confusion before looking towards me. In response I shook my head with a shrug.

"I just want to say.. thank you to Earl the bus driver for taking on a chance on an unknown kid, my parents who never drive me, and McDonalds for spending hours on those McMuffin things" Travis continued, smiling proudly as he spoke.

The class erupted into more applause, making me roll my eyes and groan as I threw my head into my hand.

"Anyways.. I'll go on" Mrs. Hall paused, shaking his head and cleared his throat. "Amora Sanchez, 5 tardies"

I nearly choked on my own saliva. "Huh! What?" I sat up in my seat and held my hand up. "Do you recall the dates of these alleged tardies?" I questioned, my head titling to the side.

"One, was last Monday!" Mr. Hall explained, mockingly titling his head.

"But- but Mr. Hall. You don't understand. I was surfing the crimson wave? I had to haul out to the.." I trailed off and glanced around the room before lowering my voice. "Lady's room"

"Well.. I see you are referring to woman's troubles so, I'll let it slide" Mr. Hall sighed and nodded understandingly.

"Really? Wow. Thank you Mr. Hall.. you know Ms. Geist was right about you?" I slowly muttered.

Immediately his head shot up. "What do you mean?"

"Well.. she said you're the only man in this school who has any form of.. intelligence?" I explained, cracking a soft smile.

The bell then rang, making me smile at Mr. Hall's expression. I stood up from my desk to see Benny who shook his head at me as he walked over.

"What are you doing?" Benny questioned, cracking a small smile.

"Oh.. only the most stellar plan in history. I'm going to make Mr. Hall and Ms. Geist fall in love! Why, you ask? It would make him happy, equals to good grades!" I explained with a wide smile.

"Wow.. and what a little genius you are" he shook his head sarcastically, ruffling up my hair.

"Hey- Don't touch this hair!" I exclaimed, quickly running a hand through my hair.

"How's your hands?" He questioned, motioning down to my still bruised hands.

I held them up, examining the bruises and bandages wrapped around them. "Well.. I think I look pretty hard?"

He shook his head with a laugh when suddenly getting pulled back to reveal Amber and Josie.

"Uh.. hello nerd brain, you better not forget? You promised to drive Josie and I to the mall!"Amber scoffed, throwing her hands with a huff.