Thirty Eight

For two days, Naru didn't leave Sasuke's side. She had cut off her link with Kakashi so she didn't hear his pleas for her to come home. The blond told Sasuke stories of Itachi's bravery, and everything he had sacrificed. Sometimes she'd entertain him by singing the nameless lullaby to him.

Their other friends came to visit, Sakura had brought scrolls for the two to study, Kiba was dragged by Hinata to see the last Uchiha's well being. Ino kept bringing back flowers, and Tsunade dropped by to ask him about his new Sharingan.

When Neji visited, he gave the Uchiha one look, before shoving a plastic of Dangos to his chest and reminding Naru that she needed to go back to Kakashi soon.

"If you're worried for this idiot, don't. The nurses will take good care of him, and Sakura will be keeping a very close eye on him" Neji assured. "But if it will sooth you, I will watch over him too" at the sight of her relieved smile, Neji messed her hair playfully.

"I don't need a chaperon" Sasuke spat.

"It's not being a chaperon" Neji smirked. "It's babysitting"

Sasuke threw a pillow at him, successfully hitting the Hyuga's face.

**

On the third day, Naruko returned home. Kakashi was eating lunch when he sensed Naruto nearing and left his food. As soon as Naruko enters the barrier he had pulled her into a tight hug, expressing his worries and scolded her for being gone for two days.

When he smelt her scent however, instead of her calming natural scent of sunshine and peaches, he smelled Sasuke's scent instead. And it was unusually strong, what the hell has his fox been doing?!

"Kakashi" Naruko whispered, earning his attention.

It was then, now that she was out of Sasuke's eyes, back in Kakashi's presence, in his arms, did the woman break down. Kakashi lowered them to the ground slowly, stroking the woman's hair. Cocooning her tightly within his arms and legs. He whispered sweet nothings into her ears as she clung to him, shaking.

Naruko felt her burdens fall off her shoulders as Kakashi soothed her. She choked out, "He's gone, Kakashi, he's gone." and in return, Kakashi would calmly stroke her hair and down her back. Whispering comforting words to her. She could feel him everywhere. On her skin, in her mind and in her heart. Naruko felt at ease through her grief and allowed herself to close her eyes and fall asleep in his arms.

When Kakashi felt her slump in his arms, he moved them back into the cottage. Looking down at her puffy face as her body twitched in his arms every so often. "She really loved him." Kakashi muttered. He imagined that if things had not gone South they could have had a family together. It made him bristle with jealousy at the bond they had.

"No need to get jealous over a dead man" his beast said with a dark chuckle. "She loves us more, and without HIM in the picture it makes things easier"

Kakashi hated himself for agreeing, after all Itachi, Konoha's most loyal ninja, a loved one of Naruko, and an old friend of his, is dead. But it was the truth, and he was disgusted with the relief he felt.

His anger returned ten fold when he sniffed Sasuke's strong scent on her, it made him tremble with rage at the image of them together. "He had her all to himself for two days, it's my turn now" he thought, his beast influencing his thoughts sneakily as he painted image after image of Naruko and Sasuke together.

Pushing down his dark thoughts and negative emotions, Kakashi carried her inside and to his room, gently laying her on his bed. He removed his sandals and jacket and got into bed with her, trying to ignore his happiness when she snuggled closer to him.

The sun was still up but Naruko needed him and Kakashi needed her. She was his mate, whether he knew his feelings for her were true or not. He traced her face with his eyes and sighed when he felt his heart swoon. He was conflicted but Kakashi knew he would do anything and everything for Naru.

"You love her." This time it was Kyuubi in his mind. Trying to get the stubborn man to relent. "Despite what you may think or what I may have said, it wasn't me that chose you. It was Naruko. You love her, so seduce her and make her yours." The Kyuubi said, repeating Neji's words. Hoping at least one of them would take the words to heart. "If you don't then she will marry that prince who is coming or Sasuke, and you will die. Both will bring great pain to Naruko."

Kakashi sighed, "Of course I don't want her with Sasuke, or with anyone else for that matter. And I don't entertain the idea of dying. The thought of her giving up her happiness just to appease a dead man makes me furious. I was in the list of candidates and Naru didn't choose me."

"You didn't exactly gave her a choice either" His beast snarled. "Had you thought she told you about her predicament because she wanted you to take her hand? Does her confession mean so little to you, Kakashi? She's been in love and loyal to you for years. Her feelings aren't going to change no matter what happens."

"Naruko has been loving you for many years, runt!" Kurama added. "She loves you almost to the point of obsession, she can't live without you just like you can't live without her"

Kakashi sighed, and pulled his mate closer, burying his face in her her golden tresses. "If I give in and let her in...what do I do when I lose her? When she doesn't come back from a mission? Or when either one of us gets captured and we don't see each other for months? Returning with inflicting trauma." He shuddered at the thought. "I almost disappeared when Katsumi hurt me. I don't know what will come of me if something were to happen when I allow this to happen. It would be worse than death."

Kurama and the beast sighed pitifully at Kakashi's insecurities.  "You'll never find out then. Naru will leave you for another man and you will die alone. Make her miserable, will you." Kurama snarled, "You both love each other yet neither of you do anything to make each other happy! You're both infuriating!"

Kakashi knew his beast and the demon fox was right. "I'm grateful that she has love me for so long." Kakashi admitted, feeling his resolve settle and nodded. "I will woo her. I will steal her away from her wedding if I don't woo her in time." He kissed the top of the sleeping beauty's head. "Kami I'd do anything to make her happy. She doesn't deserve a broken man though I doubt I'll be able to watch her be with another man." He chuckled bitterly, "I'll kill them all."

Kyuubi nodded. At least one of the stubborn duo was convinced. Now it was just Naruko to beat some sense into. "Naruko won't accept your affections unless you truly show and tell her that you want to be hers, forever. Minato had trouble with Kushina and you will have trouble with Naru" The Kyuubi relayed some information to the man.

Kakashi nodded, taking in all of the Kyuubi's words. "I can be persuasive. I'll do anything I can to make her mine" He looked down to the sleeping woman. His eye softening as he took in her peaceful appearance. "I just hope she accepts me in time. I'm not fond of crashing a wedding or eloping."

He winced when the two beasts in his head boomed in laughter.

Kakashi sighed at that. "I swear if we end up eloping-"

Now the beasts were laughing like hyenas.

Kakashi groaned. "Shut up"