Twenty

"What was that?!" Naruko hollered in disbelief as she watched Kakashi land on his back in heap. She was growing agitated by the minute, resuming his training. Looking to the pug next to him: "Care to explain?"

They had been tree climbing for the past three hours and with every attempt Kakashi couldn't stick to the tree for more then 15 seconds tops. That meant the man couldn't reach halfway up the mature tree. Lunch was nearing and with each minute Naru's aura was growing darker and darker. Scaring all the woodland creatures well away from the land.

Pakkun replied with a heavy sigh. "Honestly I don't know" Observing his master as he never gave up and looked as if he was in a trance. "Maybe he is distracted Naruko...."

"But---"

"---But even with his ordeal his chakra control shouldn't be like this at all" he sighed before adding on. "I'm going to return home and see if I can find something. Maybe it has something to do with his clan" Pakkun released himself in a poof of smoke. Leaving the two alone.

Naru rubbed the side of her temple before approaching Kakashi. Catching his collar as he fell and placed him sitting down before her. "That's enough for today" she said sternly when she cought his defiant look at wanting to try again. Crouching before the man she said. "Kakashi...I can't help you if you don't tell me what's going on here" poking his head with two fingers, like how Sasuke fondly does to her when's he's being soft. Him, and the other one.

She watched as the man looked away in shame. She knew she wasn't going to get anything right now and rose to her full height. "Training is done for today. Go eat lunch and then tend to the gardens" she ordered the recovering man.

Kakashi stood up, towering over the young woman. "I'm sorry Naruko, I'll try harder next time"

Naruko could only smile lightly before dismissing him. Waiting till she was all alone before sighing heavily. "Maybe I should consult dad's books...."

"I didn't know you knew of your heritage my Kitsune"

A bright smile tingled on Naruko's lips as she turned to the voice of the newcomer. Her hands behind her back as she balanced on her tip toes to reach eye level. Her sapphire orbs watching as her companion's blood red eyes turn back to pitch black. "I may be a bit daft at times but I am observant, Itachi"

The oldest Uchiha reached for her cheek and pushed a strand of gold hair behind her hair. "How I've missed you, my Kitsune"

Naruko giggled before jumping into his arms, burying her face in the crook of his neck, inhaling his scent. "I've missed you too, Weasel" pulling back but not letting go from his embrace she asked. "Are you here to capture me again?"

Itachi picked up the worry in her voice. And pulled her back in his embrace, whilst planting a kiss on the crown of her head. "Never, my Kitsune, never again" he swore to himself, looking over the cabin and frowning when he sense his former Captain's chakra, and whispered in her ear. "Are you in danger Kitsune?"

This time it was him who pulled away and looked into her beautiful blue eyes. The warm blue eyes he fell inlove with and saved him all those years ago.

Naru scrunched her brows. "Danger?" following her protector's gaze to the cabin and shook her head with a sigh.

"No danger Itachi-kun, that's my mission actualy. Get Kakashi back into feild worthy before I have to do SOMETHING before I can leave Konoha walls again" she faced her number 1 favorite Uchiha(sorry Sasuke no hard feelings)with a sly smile. "And maybe....." pouting when Itachi pressed a finger to her lips to silence her.

Itachi smirked at her little pink lip jutting out. "You know you can't come with me, my Kitsune. It's not safe for you"

"Is there a 'but' in there somewhere?" Naruko hoped.

"No buts, it's not safe. But I did come to see you for a reason" Itachi took a serious turn and caught the blond's attention. "The Kazekage was attacked a few days ago. Though you needn't have to leave for him. I've managed to return the Kage back home but my cover was almost blown"

Naruko gripped Itachi and pulled him deeper into the forest and far from Kakashi. Turning around she glowered at Itachi.

"I know you're mad but it had to be done and I did say 'almost' " smirking more as he saw her calm a bit. Now for the bad news. "This, will be the last time we will see each other my Kitsune"

"Wh..Why--what?" the blond whispered, feeling a sharp pain to her chest as her throat constricted. Looking at the older Uchiha and saw the answer in his eyes. "You plan to die by Sasuke's hands!" she tried yelling at him but her voice came out as a harsh choke. The tears were already stinging her eyes.

"Sooner, I will be find out, and we both know with my eyes I don't have much time left. Konoha won't welcome me back with open arms, and Sasuke....."

"Who cares what that idiot wants?!" Naruko spat at the Uchiha. "You have sacrificed so much for this village! So what?! So your weak little shit of a brothet can kill you? He could never kill you if you were at full strenght!"

Itachi reached for her hands and opened her closed palms for him to hold. He knew she wouldn't accept his death but she had to for his sake. "Naruko, this is what I want. I know deep down inside you understand that my sins need to be cleansed and Sasuke can give me that. Yes he is weak and cannot defeat me if I was healthy, but I am not. Naruko you know that, we both know I have been dying for some time now and....I need you, Naruko"

Lifting her chin to look into his pleading black eyes. "I need you to understand, my Kitsune"

"How long?" she whispered.

"Eight months to ten months max. I'll give it all I can when the time comes and when it does....Sasuke shall have my eyes so he doesn't go blind" he replied in a hurt whisper. Placing his forehead against hers. "I promise, my Kitsune, I promise by then I'll have the Akatsuki dead. My last gift to you"

"But the only gift I want is for you to stay with me"

Naruko shook head head, shooing away her selfish thought. "No, no I can't accept that"

"You have to" he placed a soft, affectionate kiss on her forehead, lingering a bit longer, before taking several steps away from her. Seeing her try to hold back tears as she bit her lip and fingers curled around the end of her shirt. She even had a running nose. But all Itachi saw was the young and very beautiful woman she had grown up to be. He'll regret leaving her in this village but he knew from Jiraiya he can't take her because of her heat.

Taking her and then dying would hurt more if he asked her to claim him and carry his heir. All Itachi could do now was smile at her. A smile reserved only for her. "You're strong, Naruko. Just like your mother" closing his eyes Itachi could imagine their first born. A daughter with hair as dark as his and bright blue captivating eyes like her mother. She would be smart, like him, and cunning like Naruko.

Naruko didn't knoe what he was thinking but by the look of his face, he was at peace and all she could do was accept what was going to happen. "Promise me" she said, gaining Itachi's sharigan eyes in return. "Promise me you won't go easy on him"

"Of course, my Kitsune" Itachi took a few steps forward and stopped when he was just an arms lenght away from his Kitsune. He placed a finger under her chin and tilted her head up. He then leaned closely and closed the gap between them, sharing their first and, last kiss. When he pulled away, Naruko looked ready to cry again.

"I love you, my Kitsune, always had. Always will. Goodbye, Naruko" were his last words before he dissapeared in a flock of crows.

Naru swallowed swallowed her tears as she faced a tree. Gathering a rasengan in her hand she screamed out as she delivered the dangerous jutsu into the tree.

Another man she loves will be taken away from her again. First Kakashi, who left her for Katsumi, and now Itachi, who will be leaving her too, soon.

Why does love always have to come and then go?