5 - Among Everything, We Choose the One that Makes Us Happy

We may not realize it at first but life throws us little tests to help us make crucial choices in the future.

If only it appeared more blatant, something that would practically slap you hard across the face and not inconspicuously wrapped as an ordinary object we can easily shrug off. 

It would be helpful, life. Thank you.

All the deception and camouflage would almost guarantee making mistakes.Then again, we may need the lesson to forge our maturity. After all, we will not quite get to know the impact of certain choices by living them vicariously.

That would ineffective, if not, cowardly.

I had expected my premature infatuation towards my new friend as something that would only excite me as of the present and would gradually decrease over time. I've seen quite a lot of beautiful women and men that I've found breathtakingly attractive but they've all ended up ordinary in the end.

Keeping that in mind, I was almost positive that I would choose my boyfriend over Camila.  

I, of course, was unaware that I had just made my first mistake; hasty assumption.

I was already failing the first test - the easiest by far.

When the girls stood up to head for their respective classes, my phone's display lit up as it rattled freely on the table from the jolting force within the small device. On instinct, I looked down to check who it was and surprisingly, I didn't feel excitement bubble like a piping hot concoction.

Among all the things that are surprising, the caller wasn't one of them. It was Gavin.

I hate it when my phone vibrates or rings but he hates it more if I don't pick up. I do hate unnecessary squabbles, though. It was a dilemma that I chose to overlook for him. Because you know, I'm good at this relationship thing.

Well, not really.

I had to make a choice then. It was either to entertain my boyfriend or remain present and involved in the situation with Camila in it. It would be helpful to note that little detail.

While it wasn't much of a conundrum as to why Gavin called, I was quite baffled to find myself ignoring the call; which, in essence, was ignoring him. What was more surprising was how easy it was, as if the choice had already been made even before I was given options.

I absentmindedly held my phone in my hands just to soothe the nagging in my brain that told me to tend to the device but I didn't do anything beyond hitting the volume button to cease the vibration.

I was preoccupied at the moment. My gaze was plastered on the girls that were getting farther from Camila and I with each step they took.

"Hey, Mila!" Dinah bellowed at an abrupt stop, swiftly turning back around to our direction. By her tone alone, anyone could tell mischief was underway. "Give Lauren your number. In case she needs rescuing from the Empress of Fakeness."

I couldn't help but blow air out of my nose, finding the humor in Dinah's concern for my well-being. At least, I assumed it was that. I wasn't quite sure. I did stop myself from laughing, though but the others didn't offer the same courtesy for our less than impressed Camila. Ally and Normani's giggling were prominently contesting the various conversations surrounding us.

The problem was, Camila wasn't too pleased.

Her features crumpled in mild disapproval that could have definitely been worse. The opportunity to read her expressions further was robbed from me when she dropped her head down, completely defeated by their shenanigans. Her shoulders were tensed and rigid as if she was bracing for a commotion of some sort, and her body was gearing up to stifle the impact.