27 - The Future That We Fear

For the months that I've known Camila, I had filled pages upon pages of the imaginary book that I have created of the girl; tucked away in the confines of my head and heart. And yet, I still could not decipher the girl I've recently had the pleasure of calling my girlfriend. Camila had ways of surprising me. I could predict what she would do next but her kind heart apparently has tricks up its sleeve; if it had any. 

"I was wondering where that chair went." I proclaimed with a slight smirk, resting my chin on my hand with my elbow on the table. "Did you take it with you or something? It kinda just disappeared."

My girlfriend was approaching our usual tangerine rectangular table to the corner of the shambolic and ever so loud cafeteria. She was dragging the white plastic chair behind her on its hind legs. It made a soft gliding sound against the tiled floor. It wasn't too disturbing to the ears and if anything, I welcomed that minute sound of friction. I had not heard it in so long that I was rejoicing quietly in secret. I still find it extremely ridiculous that I was attached to that chair. Where is the girl who had no problem moving from city to city; state to state?

The four of us were already seated with our respective meals in front of us. Camila was about to take the head of the table while I was to her right with Ally on the other side. To my right was Normani and in front of her was Dinah who was right next to Ally. It was still surreal to actually be sitting with all five of us but it was a welcomed change; or should I say, a revert to normal. Normal was established on that Friday that I showed up to school for the first time and I wouldn't change it for anything. Between the chair and having Camila back, I was getting shamefully emotional. 

"I missed that chair." Dinah remarked while the others were quick to agree. She craned her neck towards Camila who was about to sit as if inspecting the meager object; scrutinizing it with a movement of the brows. "I think I missed that more than I missed you, Chanch." She mustered her best playful grin before fixating her eyes on her macaroni and cheese in front of her. 

Camila flashed a mocking smile to Dinah's head, exaggerating the narrowing of her eyes with an eerily tilted her head. It was adorable to watch but something in me couldn't resist but lean to plant a kiss on my girlfriend's cheek and slowly pull away. 

"I missed you." I confessed in a low voice with eyes that I hoped exuded as much sincerity as my words. "I never want to see your spot empty ever again."

"I missed you, too." The brown of Camila's eyes instantaneously softened while her lips tugged to reveal a small smile. Her shoulders slumped down in utter contentment. "Never again, Lolo."

She set her hands on either side of my face and gently pulled me in. We met halfway and the blissful smile on my lips became an outward representation of the celebration in my being. Displaying affection in public is a wordless profession of how proud a person is to have their partners. While our friends made playful gagging noises and various groans, Camila and I knew they were merely uncomfortable because we were friends and not because we're of a "completely different species". 

"Let's just celebrate the fact that we're all here and happier than ever." Ally spoke up, silencing the other two girls with us. Her lips portrayed an exuberant grin just as I would expect from the older girl. The nods and various mumbles of agreement immediately followed and I was more than thankful for Allyson. Camila and I might have had to endure little mischievous comments here and there from the Polynesian if she hadn't stepped in.

"I'm tempted to propose a toast but it won't be as fun with just water bottles." Dinah muttered, giggling sheepishly. "Champagne sounds so much better."

"I think we've had enough of that over New Year's, Dinah." Normani chastised with a gentle shake of the head but laughed regardless.

While some teachers who see Camila and I would either look at us the same way as they do a heterosexual couple, others would grimace as if that affectionate gesture was disgusting.  It was the same with our schoolmates. A lot of times we were ignored like the rest of the couples. However, there were some derogatory comments dropped here and there, along with some sneering and mocking. Being called names would have been tragic if we cared about them.