16 - Before The Worst

Fridays were ours; Camila's and mine. We would go everywhere for lunch; park, restaurant, my apartment, her house, or just anywhere within school grounds. We would either study or just hang out, sharing our new playlist or the latest book we read. Camila and I had grown inseparable while my boyfriend and I were slowly drifting apart.

Gavin was angered when I had decided to skip Thanksgiving. It was different, spending it without my family. Thanksgiving with them wasn't necessarily like the American tradition though. There were no turkeys or anything like that. We would just eat a normal family dinner and celebrate the fact that we are together over some cheap wine that we weren't allowed to drink.

The Cabello's invited me to their dinner which ended up with just Camila, Sofia and I as their parents had to perform a pro-bono surgery. They left before I even arrived. It was that urgent.

So much for traditions and holidays.

Camila had become so special to me in all her beauty and idiosyncrasies. I had never felt so bare while fully clothed with another person. She knew more about me than anybody else does, and without my saying anything at that. I just felt so accepted and, dare I say it, perfect in her eyes. It seemed as if no matter what I'd do, I wouldn't disappoint her. If I did, she was there with open arms, figuratively; ready to encapsulate me in the most comfortable way possible.

One Friday, after the Thanksgiving holiday, Camila and I decided to go to her house during lunch.

It was a bright, sunny day and the wind was a little less humid. It was the usual for us, just lounging by the deck, sitting by the pool, our legs partially submerged in the water. Her nose was buried in the book George Orwell's "The Animal Farm", a reading assignment while I was merely on my phone, browsing for the latest music when I stumbled upon a song called "Benny and The Jets" by Elton John.

Jets. Jette,I thought. I had never attempted to ask Camila anything concerning her odd disdain for the blonde but at the time, I was won over by my curiosity.

I set my phone down behind me, safe from the hazards of the chlorine-diluted water and my rather uncoordinated friend.

"What did your friend do?" I asked casually and adjusted my black beanie. "Why do you hate her so much?"

Camila momentarily looked up just to acknowledge the question but immediately went back to her book. "Which friend?"

For some reason, I grew nervous. I was cautious about riling my friend up. I had never seen her angry since the allergic reaction. It was the first time and the last time for now. I was quite startled by it yet weirdly turned on. What is happening to me?

I sealed my eyes shut and perched my hands on the wooden surface that we were sitting on, gripping tightly while slowly uttering, "Janette."

"Well, in that case," She began, slapping her book shut and set it on her lap. I finally nabbed all her attention and she shifted to meet my gaze. "She's not my friend." The brown-eyed brunette continued, shaking her head making the white bow that sat on top of it wiggle from side to side.

"Okay..." I trailed off; still debating on whether I should continue shooting questions. I decided to take the plunge, taking a deep breath. "What did Jette do? Why don't you like me hanging out with her?" I looked at her inquisitively which made her avert my stare.

From the looks of it, Camila was hesitant. She would move her lips but there were no words. She bowed her head and shook it incessantly.

"She used to be so nice." Camila stared off into the trees that separated her house from the neighbors. "We used to be really close; like really close. But something happened to her that made her...wicked. Some people learn from pain, others just become the pain, you know?"