17 - Snatched

"Laurie, come home for dinner. Ivy and I are cooking." read a text message that I had received from my snoopy roommate who goes by the name, Janette Zack.

It was on that Saturday, the day after we had a little pool party at Camila's. We were watching a cartoon TV show in their dim-lit home theater that afternoon. The girls and I were genuinely enjoying ourselves with the lighthearted children's show. It was mainly for Sofi but we were laughing anyway. It felt good to pretend we were children and had nothing else to worry about.

The Cabello sisters and I were in the front row with the rest of the girls behind us. It was a good blissful feeling sitting next to Camila with her sister on her lap, cuddling with her. Her entire demeanor would just shift to the gentlest little creature incapable of hurting others. However, I never really saw her as capable of doing such things. Camila had always just been harmless to say the least.

I felt a distasteful feeling in my gut with the fact that I had to shatter her blissful state with my news considering her disdain for the blonde girl I live with.

"I have to go back to the apartment for dinner." I reluctantly whispered to her ear, keeping a fake smile on my face for her sister. "My roommates are cooking. I feel like it's too impolite to decline. Is that okay?"

Why I had to ask for Camila's permission baffled me but I figured it was for the best. After all, I do value her opinions.

My best friend merely nodded and it was clearly out of character. The Camila I knew would have thought of something funny, something that unearthed that goofy laugh or a philosophical quote that could only come from Confucius. Her nodding and lack of words bothered me so much that I had averted her gaze, her body or her outline all together.

Was she jealous? Somehow I felt like she was just genuinely worried about me with her arch nemesis. I have not necessarily seen Jette do much damage other than the bullying that never became physical.

The rest of the kiddie TV show was uncomfortable. It may have been a terrible idea to sit next to Camila when it was the best one before Jette sent me a text message. It was like sitting next to a volatile animal, ready to pounce with the slightest move.

I feared that one day the blonde would completely drive a wedge over Camila and my friendship and we would never speak again. I cringed at the thought and closed my eyes to find refuge behind my eyelids, which were not much considering a thin layer of skin cannot even black out the blaring sun.

I had contemplated on just reaching for Camila's hand a couple of times but never had the guts to. While Sofi was completely oblivious to everything, Camila was staring hard at the screen in front of us but was not necessarily watching the show.

"Kaki, can we go swim again?" Sofia asked loud enough for everybody else to hear.

Camila looked down to the innocent doe eyes her sister possessed and smiled at her affectionately while brushing her face free of hair. "Of course, princess."

They had collectively decided to go swimming again after the TV show given the Miami weather doesn't necessarily drop to a cold paradise; it just gives us a glimpse of it...sometimes. It's less humid though and that's a plus.

Everybody else was on their feet but the Cabello's and I. I was reluctant to even stand up given the weakened sensation on my knees with my heart painfully beating amid the gaping hole in my chest. They were merrily talking to each other, giggling at whatever riveting conversation they were having and I was about to interrupt their excitement.

"So, ladies..." I guardedly proclaimed, rubbing my palms against my clothed upper thighs. I slowly stood up and looked around my friends who all looked confused except Camila who stayed seated. "I have to...get going." I pursed my lips as I aimlessly nodded. Sensing the need for an explanation, I said, "Roommates wanted to have dinner together."