TWO

Shaking out my umbrella as I stride into the company building, I look down at my soaked heels and roll my eyes at the fact I stepped right into a puddle this morning

Shaking out my umbrella as I stride into the company building, I look down at my soaked heels and roll my eyes at the fact I stepped right into a puddle this morning. It was such a small inconvenience but felt like so much with everything else I had been dealing with. Waving hello to the receptionists that I've seen five days a week for the past three years, I take a sip of my thankfully still warm coffee as I walk towards the elevator.

Entering into my office after telling my boss good morning, I place my purse on the small couch and change into my emergency pair of black pumps that I always keep in my desk drawer. Taking a deep breath to calm my nerves, I know I'll have to put my best foot forward during the presentation in just one more hour. Even though I love the creativity of working in marketing, the stress to pull in clients and keep them happy sometimes can be a bit rough. Today, we're supposed to be meeting with part of the team from Chanel along with one of their lawyers and the mere thought of displeasing them makes my head spin.

Stress doesn't even remotely describe what I feel as I log into my computer and go over my notes once again. Last year, this account belonged to one of the senior agents but he had since moved on to another firm this year, leaving it in my hands this time around.

Chanel had to be the biggest client I had and if I lost this account, my job quite literally could be on the line but ya know, no pressure or anything.

Checking the time, I see that they should be arriving in about thirty minutes and so I grab my little bag of toothpaste, a toothbrush, and a hairbrush before heading off to the bathroom to freshen myself up. The last thing I'd want is to greet them with coffee breath or messy hair. First impressions are everything from what I've learned in this field and I have to appear to have my shit together even when my nerves are totally shot and my personal life is in shambles.

Awkwardly bearing my teeth in the mirror to make sure I don't have any lipstick smudged on the enamel after reapplying, I brush out my still slightly rain-dampened hair and decide that a low bun may be the best option. At least this way it seems dry and styled but it still annoys me that I spent all of that time this morning curling my chocolate brown tresses just to have it ruined by Mother Nature.

One of the receptionists opens up the bathroom door and gives me a relieved smile once she sees me, "Mrs. Scott? The group from Chanel is here."

"Already?!" My eyes widen as I check the time on my smartwatch, "They're early. Shit!" I whisper-shout as I begin to scramble to get my things together.

"I'll stall by offering them some coffee or water," she suggests with a friendly smile and I graciously thank her in return, feeling my heart begin to beat rapidly.

Briskly walking into my office to grab my portfolio containing needed documents and the flash drive from my laptop, I scurry back down the other hallway towards the conference room. As I approach, I can hear them conversing with my boss and take a deep breath before practicing my smile as I reach for the door handle.