TWENTY-FOUR

Straightening out my  heather gray pencil skirt and white button-up blouse after I step out of  the taxi cab, I look up at the large beige-colored stone building where  I'm supposed to meet with the judge

Straightening out my heather gray pencil skirt and white button-up blouse after I step out of the taxi cab, I look up at the large beige-colored stone building where I'm supposed to meet with the judge. A mixture of both nervousness and excitement flutter inside of me as my heels click against the large concrete steps toward the glass doors. Although Jimin wanted to be here with me to support me today, we both agreed that it'd probably be best if he didn't. We didn't think it would be a good look if I showed up with another man.

But I can't lie and say I don't wish he could be here right now.

Thankfully, since it's not a huge case, Cameron and I, along with our lawyers, are just meeting with the judge in his chambers. After stopping to ask for directions, I make my way down the long hallway until I spot the one person I would rather not see first thing this afternoon.

Or any afternoon.

Looking at his cell phone as he's posted up against the wall, I'm surprised to find Cameron here not only on time but dressed to impress. His hair looked freshly cut and his navy blue suit was ironed so that not one wrinkle showed. The cuffs of his crisp white shirt showed from underneath his jacket sleeves and his brown belt matched perfectly with his unscuffed loafers. He reminded me of how he used to always look when we were dating and up until a few years ago.

It made me quirk a brow and wonder what he was up to.

Looking over as he hears me approaching, he clicks off his phone and slides it into his pocket with a bright pearly-white smile peering back at me, "Mia, good morning! You're looking lovely as always."

I quietly scoff at his demeanor, "What's with the act? No one is around."

"Act?" he questions as he greets me with a small hug that I don't accept, "What do you mean? You do always look lovely."

"Cut the crap, Cameron," I scold through a whisper so as to not draw attention. "You haven't been like this to me since before our first wedding anniversary."

"Maybe I've just finally realized that I need to change before I lose you for good," he replies, his eyes softening as he looks down at me.

Maybe.

But highly doubtful.

And most of all, a little too late, buddy.

Before I can respond with my honest and unfiltered thoughts, the judge's chamber doors open with my lawyer, Marie, peering out at us. Glancing between the two of us for a moment before speaking, I notice her solemn expression that foreshadows that she knows something that I probably won't be too happy about.

"Mia, Cameron... the judge will see you now," she states as she pulls open the door a bit wider to allow us to come inside.

My eyes immediately land on the wall-to-wall, ceiling-to-floor bookshelf field with mostly books about practicing law as well as dictionaries and encyclopedias. There wasn't even enough space for a single book to tilt and if any more are bought, the judge would need to get himself another shelf to house them. The judge enters shortly after my observation concluded, followed by formal greetings and introductions.