TWENTY-FIVE

Sun begins to peer in through the window, not bright enough to wake Mia but since I'm used to going on morning runs, it was my natural alarm clock

Sun begins to peer in through the window, not bright enough to wake Mia but since I'm used to going on morning runs, it was my natural alarm clock. I smile at the beautiful woman sleeping next to me, the red sheet barely concealing her body and her messy slept-in hair draping over her face. She looked the most serene I had ever seen her and my heart fluttered at the angelic sight. I had told myself I wouldn't get used to this, not knowing if it was something that would last, but I have to admit that I really hope it does.

I doubt she would go back to Cameron. After everything he's done to her and the way he's made her feel over the years, I can't imagine her falling back in love with him, but am I just going to be a rebound? Nevertheless, I find myself falling for this woman more and more every single day.

Quietly, I slide out of the bed and gently tuck her back under the covers before kissing her cheek. Mia ever so slightly sighs at the feeling of my lips and it takes everything in me to not disturb her from her peaceful rest even more than I already have. Walking to my closet, I grab my gray sweatpants and matching hoodie and make my way to the bathroom to get myself dressed and brush my teeth before heading outside.

The morning air was chilly, making breathing easier as my feet hit the payment over and over. Not many people were out at this time of day which was always what I liked the most. It allowed me to clear my head before work or any schedules I may have except when I found myself thinking about things from my past.

Thoughts of helping my father out at his restaurant after school let out, getting into some type of trouble with my friends back in college, and of course, my ex. Chae-Yun and I were great together when we started dating. Not a day went by that we didn't see or at least talk to one another and there was never a moment of awkwardness between us. She was one of the most beautiful women I had ever seen up until meeting Mia and I fell head-over-heels for Chae-Yun quicker than I ever thought possible.

Chae-Yun came from a well-known family in Busan. Her father owned a well-established construction company that was passed down to him from his father and so she had one of the best educations money could buy. With me being your average teenager turned college kid who wasn't raised around money, naturally, her father found it odd that she chose to date me during our senior year of college. I wouldn't be able to provide for her the lifestyle she was used to at the time and while Chae-Yun didn't seem to mind, her father definitely did.

After enough arguments with her father, Chae-Yun decided it would be best that we broke up. She didn't foresee a life with me if her father wouldn't accept me and didn't feel like it would be fair to me to put me through that. Or at least that's what she told me. What sucked the most is that I had just purchased an engagement ring, the best one my money could buy, after landing the internship at Chanel with promises to hire me full-time after graduation. I really saw a life with her. She just didn't see one with me.

Heartbroken and somewhat pissed off, I found myself bar-hopping that night and continuously over the next couple of weeks. Hindsight being 20/20,  it probably wasn't the smartest thing to do. However, my group of friends was ecstatic to have me back on the town with them and out of a committed relationship. Two of them had girlfriends themselves, but nothing as serious as the relationship I had just got out of, and the other four were thoroughly enjoying the single life and flirting with as many girls as possible.