TWENTY-EIGHT

Walking out of the office, I stop on the bottom step and try to push aside the pout on my face as I say good evening to some of my colleagues

Walking out of the office, I stop on the bottom step and try to push aside the pout on my face as I say good evening to some of my colleagues. Putting the phone up to my ear after selecting Mia's phone number, I wait patiently for her to answer while I begin my slow trek to my apartment.

No answer.

I figured it'd be a long shot. She told me she'd be busy in meetings all day which made it nearly impossible to talk to her. The launch party for Chanel really opened up a lot of doors for her and while I'm incredibly proud of her accomplishments and all of these high-end companies begging to work with her, it sucks not having her around as much this past week.

Mia:
I'm so sorry!
My boss asked me
to join them for
dinner tonight.
I won't be home
until later.
Be there as soon
as possible!
I love you!!!

Sighing and no longer forcing a brave face as I walk down the well-known street, I send her a quick message letting her know it's okay and that I love her, too.

It was fine. I could find something to occupy my time and after a stressful week myself, having a beer or two away from the confines of my lonely apartment seemed like a great idea.

The bar I've passed by on many occasions came into view. Many people could already be spotted inside wearing outfits similar to mine and obviously getting an after-work drink as well. Music blared from inside. Loud enough to be heard outside of the open door and onto the patio but quiet enough to still have a conversation if you wanted to.

Sitting down at the end of the long half-circle cherry wood bar, I lift two fingers to signal to the bartender that I'm ready to order.

Her brows raised as she waited for me to proceed and I suddenly remembered that I'm in Paris and they freaking speak French here.

"Um, un IPA, s'il vous plaît," I request with an unsure tone, hoping she understood what I was ordering.

"Est-ce que quelque chose sur le robinet va bien?" the woman asked and my mouth opens and closes a few times, totally confused about what the hell she just asked me.

"Est-ce que quelque chose sur le robinet va bien?" the woman questioned again, obviously growing annoyed by my lack of response.

"Oui. Je paierai ses verres."

The voice of the man now taking a seat beside me took me by surprise. Looking over to my right, I see Cameron take a sip of his own pint of beer while the bartender slides mine in front of me.

"Merci," I state with a charming smile, doing my best to make up for my lack of communication skills and earning a warm grin from her in return.

"What did you say to her?" I question Mia's ex-husband even though he's been avoiding looking in my direction.