TWENTY-TWO

I take a long deep breath and open the front door to the building housing my lawyer's office

I take a long deep breath and open the front door to the building housing my lawyer's office. After filing the initial paperwork asking for the divorce, Cameron wasn't exactly happy with me, thus the reason why I didn't even have my phone with me during our stay at the hotel for the launch party. Even though I ended up blocking his number, after all, I know how Cameron is when he's angry or annoyed and he would simply use another number to try to contact me until I agreed to speak with him.

But I've reached a point of no return. His voice and his words no longer seem to affect me in the way they once did. I don't care about his false promises and his shallow emotions that he obviously uses as a manipulation tactic to get what he wants at the time. Even if Jimin and I never go beyond friends, or now friends with benefits... very good benefits, I still would want to go through with this divorce. Cameron unknowingly made the decision to lose me when he first started acting as if I didn't matter. I was just too stubborn to let our marriage fail so easily.

Cameron is a grown man. At this point, it's not a mistake to constantly keep hurting me. It's a choice.

"Bonjour, I'm here to meet with my attorney, Marie Martin," I explain as I step up to the blonde woman sitting behind the receptionist's desk.

Standing up, she asks for me to follow her towards a conference room where mine and Cameron's lawyers are already seated. Upon my arrival, they both greet me with the usual pleasantries before quietly continuing to work away, writing things down and typing things into their laptops while I sit in silence waiting for my future ex-husband to arrive.

Ten minutes, fifteen minutes... thirty.

Just as his lawyer is about to attempt to contact him again, Cameron finally walks through the door, immediately apologizing for being so late and stating that he overslept. Yeah... sure. I can bet money that he was drinking again and didn't set an alarm at all.

As he sits down in the adjacent chair, I can feel his eyes looking over every inch of me while I keep mine trained on my lawyer while she starts to hand out the terms of the divorce as she and I had previously discussed.

The terms are simple; set me free.

Cameron can keep the house; I don't want the bad memories that come with it. My soon-to-be ex-husband can also have everything inside of it. He can keep the car; I can simply get my own. As far as I am concerned, I'm starting a totally new life without any ties to a man that never deserved me and as much as he always liked to believe that I needed him, the fact of the matter is, I don't, and never did. I've always been able to survive on my own and will be able to do so without him once again.

I have no doubts that I loved him and desperately tried to make it work but if there's one thing about me to be said, it's that I'll never fully depend on any man.

Cameron and his lawyer look over the terms, flipping the page at the same time to finish reading that basically all assets will go to Cameron. All he has to do is sign on the dotted line next to where my signature is already scribbled and I'll be one step closer to freedom.