FIVE

Taking another sip of my wine, I watch Mia laugh whole-heartedly at something Josie just said to her

Taking another sip of my wine, I watch Mia laugh whole-heartedly at something Josie just said to her. Even though the conversation wasn't a quiet one, and neither was the restaurant, I couldn't seem to hear anything else other than the cute sound radiating from the woman I know I shouldn't be paying so much attention to.

Clearing my throat quietly, I sit down my wine glass and cut into the filet mignon I had ordered. This isn't right. I can't be admiring a married woman, no matter how attracted I am to her. Sure, I don't know much about her personal life or what her likes and dislikes are but physically, I'm definitely drawn to her. I just need to keep reminding myself that our relationship is purely professional.

That's all she sees me as anyway; a colleague. She probably doesn't even find me attractive and I'm crazy for even feeling a twinge of disappointment at that thought.

"So, Jimin, are you planning on bringing anyone special?" Josie questions as I'm brought out of the confines of my thoughts.

"Anyone... special?" My brows raise as I slowly bring my fork back down to my plate.

"To the launch party once we get the fragrance out on the market." She tilts her head as she examines my state of being. "Are you feeling okay? You seem kind of off tonight."

Flitting my eyes to Mia, I shift in my seat and bring my napkin to dab at my mouth before I respond, "I'm fine. Just a long day, I guess. No, I don't have anyone special to have as my plus one."

"No one? Come on, there has to be a cute girl that you'd like to go with." Mia pleasantly smiles at me, giving me a little nudge with her shoulder.

"Unfortunately, no. I don't have anyone I spend my time with. I'm still the new kid in town, remember?" I give her a little wink and immediately regret doing that.

"Right," she takes a sip of her wine while keeping eye contact with me. "That's still a while from now. Who knows who you'll meet in the meantime."

"The offer for me to set you up on a blind date with my niece is still on the table," Josie interjects and my stomach twists at the thought.

I appreciate her wanting to help me mingle in this wonderful city and I'm honored that she would like for me to date someone so closely related to her but dating my boss's niece seems like a really bad idea. If things went bad then well, so could my job.

Giving her a genuine smile, I shake my head, "Thank you, Josie, but not right now."

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Mia tap the screen of her cellphone for the fourth time in less than thirty minutes and let out the smallest of sighs. If I wasn't paying so much attention to every little detail, I would have missed it. Especially with how she jumps right back into conversation with such an upbeat attitude.

It's as if she has rehearsed this act of false happiness until she's perfected it, but given how she was the other night and knowing her marriage is rocky right now makes it obvious to me that this beautiful smile she's currently showing Josie isn't truly genuine. Something is bothering her inside.