THREE

Walking into the house after a long day of planning and organizing my thoughts for the Chanel account along with a multitude of other smaller brands that I'm working with, I kick my heels off by the door and bend to pick them up; careful to not dr...

Walking into the house after a long day of planning and organizing my thoughts for the Chanel account along with a multitude of other smaller brands that I'm working with, I kick my heels off by the door and bend to pick them up; careful to not drop the brown paper bag of groceries I had purchased from the little market down the street.

The lights were all off and it was very quiet, indicating that Cameron wasn't home yet. Another late night at the office, I suppose. He'll probably just come home, grab himself a beer, and shut himself off in the room to play video games again. Staring at the ingredients I just bought, I decide to go ahead and prepare a meal with hopes that maybe, just maybe, he'll come home and want to eat dinner with me this time.

After finding the pot I needed, I make my way towards our bedroom to change into some leggings and an off-the-shoulder sweater to keep me a little warmer in the early spring night air that always comes through as a draft in between these old Parisian walls.

Just as I'm stirring the homemade soup and doing a taste test to see if it's made to my liking, I hear the front door unlatch and shoes being kicked off by the entranceway. Taking a deep breath, I plaster on a sweet-looking smile and straighten my posture to go greet my husband.

"Hey," I softly say, still trying to keep the smile on my face even though he doesn't even look in my direction while he shrugs off his suit jacket, "I made some soup from all fresh ingredients. Would you like a bowl?"

Finally looking up at me, he gives me a small smile that doesn't reach his eyes, "I ate before I came home."

"Oh," I do my best to not sound too let down, "would you like to hang out? We could watch a show or something. Your choice."

"I'm really tired. I'm just going to go into the den." Cameron leans in and places an awkward kiss at my temple, before leaving to go play his video games, "Maybe some other time?"

I don't respond as I stare up at him with a blank expression on my face, trying to calm my irritation. So he's too tired to sit on his ass and watch a show or movie with me but not too tired to play a video game? Why am I even here anymore?

"Mia, for fuck's sake, I'm tired! I worked all day and just want to relax." He starts to try to argue with me but at this point, I am done arguing.

"Then go." My eyebrow raises as I turn on my heel and leave him standing behind me.

But as I figured, I soon hear the sound of his heavy footsteps following behind me, "Why is it always a problem that I want to spend my time off doing something I want to do?"

"That's just it, Cameron," I calmly state as I begin stirring the soup again, "it would be nice if, for once. spending time with me, acknowledging me, or considering me was something you also wanted to do. At least every now and then." I turn to look up at him, refusing to let my eyes well up with hot tears like they threaten to do, "When will our marriage be a priority to you?"