TEN

The next morning I wake up to an empty bed

The next morning I wake up to an empty bed. Cameron didn't come home at all last night. He did say that he would be out late but I didn't think that he meant he'd be gone indefinitely. I try not to worry too much as I get up and take my morning shower and ready myself for the day. I may be falling out of love with my husband but I still care for his well-being.

By the time I have showered, fixed my hair, and gotten dressed, I expected to find him at least somewhere in our home; especially in the den but to my surprise, he still wasn't here. Pulling out my cellphone, I try to call him a few times with each failed attempt going straight to voicemail.

For a moment I wonder if I should call the police but decide to not even try when I remembered how the authorities had said that they no longer go looking for missing adults. As I'm glancing out of the window to see if I can see our car, thinking maybe he just got drunk again and slept outside, my phone buzzes in my hand.

Park Jimin:
Good morning
Hope you slept well

The text message was a normal thing. Jimin would typically text me as soon as he finished his morning workout but this morning, I needed more than just to read words on a screen. Pressing the call icon, I hear it connect and ring a few times. Thinking he was going to let it go to voicemail, I almost hang up when I hear him cautiously answer.

"Hello?"

"Hey," I meekly say as I still peer out of the window.

"Hey." The sound of his voice perks up a bit, "I wasn't expecting you to call. To be honest, I thought it may be your husband calling to question me or something."

Scoffing, I shake my head even though he can't see me, "Cameron doesn't pay enough attention to anything or anyone other than himself to even know I've made a new friend. I've even mentioned you to him and it's as if I'm talking to a brick wall. He actually didn't even come home last night. I'm not sure what I should do. What if he's hurt or passed out drunk somewhere or got thrown in jail?"

"Try to stay calm and take a deep breath for me." I do as he asks and inhale deeply before letting it out slowly. "Good. Now, has he ever stayed out all night before?"

"No, never all night. He's come home late a lot recently but it was always before sunrise." Sitting back on the couch, I cover my eyes with my forearm and focus on the sound of Jimin's breathing as he takes a second to think before speaking.

"I really don't know if I should say this..."

"Say what?" I inquire curiously. He takes a deep breath. The crack of his voice as he hesitates to speak again makes it evident that he's battling with letting the words slip out or not. Sighing, I run my hand through my hair. "Jimin, just say what's on your mind."

"Do you think he might have a mistress?"

The pit of my gut sinks at his words but I begin to think back on his activities over the past few months and years. He spends the majority of his time playing video games or locking himself in our den. If he's not working, he's hanging out with his friends. His colleagues are all men except for a few elderly women that are assistants. I've even checked his phone on nights that he came home late because my trust in him isn't what it used to be but there was nothing. Just the typical conversations between us and the group chat with his guy friends regarding details on where they're meeting up for their next drinkfest.