TWENTY-THREE

Holding Mia's hand, I guide her through the entrance of the old building complete with a large wooden door that creaked as it was opened

Holding Mia's hand, I guide her through the entrance of the old building complete with a large wooden door that creaked as it was opened. Off in the distance, we could hear the soft romantic sounds of old-school jazz music playing and already setting the tone for what I hoped to be a memorable night.

Mia wasn't my girl by definition, but at the same time, she wasn't just a friend. She was the woman who occupied my thoughts and her smile brightened my day. She was the reason I hummed happy tunes in the shower and left work as soon as possible just to enjoy as much time with her as I could in the evenings. And judging by the way her face seems to light up the moment she sees me, I can't help but feel like I'm someone special to her as well. With all of the crap she's been having to deal with, I just want to give her a night where none of that mattered and where she could just be the young and beautiful Amelia for a few hours.

"Ah, you must be the gentleman who gave me a call," the older woman happily states as she sees me peek into the only room in the dark building with a light on.

"Jimin," I introduce myself and extend my hand for hers.

"Welcome, Jimin. And is this your partner?"

Glancing back at Mia appearing amusingly shy, I nod my head and step aside so that the woman can take a better look at my date. "This is Mia. Mia, this is Madame Sofia."

"Pleased to meet you," Mia respectfully greets her with a confused but happy smile spreading across her red-painted lips, perfectly matching the hue of the dress I suggested she wear tonight.

I hadn't exactly told Mia what my plan was for this official date and in all honesty, I wasn't fully sure I'd be able to pull off what I had in mind so last minute. Thankfully Madame Sofia was kind enough to let us squeeze in her couples dance class this evening. I considered taking her out for a simple night out on the town but I felt this would be a much more intimate setting than some overly crowded restaurant or god-awful club filled with intrusive drunks that I'd probably end up fighting if they couldn't keep their hands off of her.

Waiting until the instructor strutted away to speak with the others in attendance, Mia leans in closer to me so that she can whisper in my ear as she observes a group of couples waiting for things to start as they speak amongst themselves. "Um, Jimin? Care to inform me of your plan? I still have no clue where we are," she questions with a slow smile pulling at her mouth and a raised brow.

Opening my mouth to speak, Madame Sofia announces that class is beginning and to please take to the dance floor to await her instructions. Smiling down at her as her eyes widen at the news, she suddenly starts to look even shyer than when we first got here with that beautiful grin of hers quickly fading.

"Jimin... no," she shakes her head with nervous laughter escaping her and tries to step back into the hall but I firmly keep my hold on her hand. "Jimin, a dance class? I know how to sway, not for real dance. Not ballroom!"