EIGHT

My assistant barges into my office as if he owns the place while I try to focus on work

My assistant barges into my office as if he owns the place while I try to focus on work. In reality, I'm counting down the minutes until I know I'll see Mia at our meeting. Sitting down in front of me on the other side of my desk, Andre crosses one leg over the other and holds onto his knee. Swinging the bent leg, he purses his lips as he continues to stare at me while I try to avoid him which eventually makes me laugh, causing me to break character far too soon.

"Yes, Andre? Can I help you?" I probe as I continue to click the mouse and focus on the computer screen.

"Park Jimin," he begins with a playful tone in his heavily French-accented voice, "Is there something you'd like to tell me? I am your assistant, no?"

Rolling my eyes, I sit back in my black leather chair and intertwine my fingers over my torso, "What are you going on about this time, Andre?"

"There are rumors going around that you have found a lady love... or a man... my hopes are still high." Andre grins as he shimmies his shoulders in my direction.

Chuckling, I shake my head, "I've told you before, I like women."

"Things can change," he pushes and I laugh at my assistant's flirtatious demeanor. I tend to be flirtatious myself to whoever crosses my path, even if by accident, but with Andre, I do believe I have met my match. "And don't avoid the topic. Have you found a lady love? I should be aware of these things, you know?"

"Why on earth do you assume I've found a love interest?"

Sitting up straight, he leans over the desk a bit, "Because you have smiled more in the last week than I have ever seen you do since you started working here. Also, you have put more effort into your appearance than usual today. Your hair is perfectly combed and it looks as if you recently got a trim... possibly an undercut. Your pants and shirt are perfectly ironed, and there's not one scuff mark on your shoes. You also smell as if you added a touch more cologne today."

"You pay way too much attention to me," I remark with a raised eyebrow. Sassisly shrugging off my comment, he sits back in his chair and waits for me to either confirm or deny his suspicions. "No, Andre, I don't have a lady love as so you like to call it. No one I can call my own." Looking at the clock on my computer, I lock the screen and reach for my cellphone before standing, "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a meeting with the marketing agency."

"Ah-ha!" Andre exclaims making me jump from the fluctuation in his voice, "I knew it!"

"What the hell...?"

"You like that pretty little marketing agent... Mia was her name?" He quirks an eyebrow before tapping his chin with his index finger. "This makes sense. No one I can call my own," he throws my words back into my face. "I believe she is married, correct?"

"Yes, but I don't see why-"

"I saw the way you lit up when I transferred her call to you on Friday. How could I have not realized then?"