FOUR

"Excuse me, Mr

"Excuse me, Mr. Park? Mr. Park?"

My racing thoughts fade away as the sound of Andre, my assistant, takes over instead. Clearing my throat to focus on what he's trying to show me, I stare at the list of duties and the multitude of phone calls that came in since earlier this morning when I said I wasn't accepting any. I needed to try to get as much done as I could but I was finding it incredibly difficult to do today.

The other night was unexpected. I hadn't anticipated seeing Mia on the bridge standing alone as she overlooked the river with long strands of wavy brown hair with subtle caramel highlights flowing angelically in front of her stunningly beautiful face. To be honest, I was awestruck at the sight of her and I'm not even sure what possessed me to come over and strike up a conversation.

Possibly because everything in me compelled me to do so. The expression she had was so solemn. Like something was weighing heavy on her heart. And although I knew it wasn't much, I felt as if I should be there for her. Even if we had barely just met.

The moment my eyes laid upon her and my hand shook hers during the meeting, I felt this twist inside of me. She was definitely attractive and I found myself having a hard time letting my eyes focus on anything but her. As if I was a moth to her flame.

I could tell that she noticed my gaze lingering on her the entire time and even though my mind was telling me to look away, focus on the words being said and not the beauty saying them, I found it physically impossible to do so.

The blush that crept up on her cheeks the moment I spoke made me smile and it was satisfying to know that I wasn't the only one feeling an attraction.

However, it felt like a record player scratched the moment my colleague mentioned the marital title Mia owns. But she didn't wear a ring? My line of vision had immediately redirected to her left ring finger to find it empty, with no trace of even an indention indicating that one was once present.

I had caught on to Mia's request to be referred to by her first name instead but I wasn't sure if she was stating she wasn't actually married or if she just wanted us to be more casual with her.

My questions were unfortunately answered that night when she did confirm that she was, in fact, a married woman. But why was she out on her own at night and why did she look so... so heartbroken?

I kept my questions to myself, only taking what she was giving me. Things were rocky in her marriage and that was even more than what I deserved to know as basically a stranger. We had just become acquaintances that day and even though I really would like to get to know her better, I shouldn't pry myself into affairs without being invited. I was just happy to know that I could place a smile on her face during our short time together.

Our conversation during dinner made me feel like we had known each other for years. Things seemed to flow so naturally between us, even with the constant surge of electricity pulsating around us like a forcefield and I wondered if she noticed it as well.