Chapter Six | BerlinXBreakfast

When I woke up in the morning, I smelled Francis' scent in the sheets. I was too comfortable with him for my instincts to wake me up in his presence, so I'm not sure what time he'd gotten in bed.

I trudged down the hallway, bags under my eyes, paler than usual. I sat down in an empty seat at the long table where the rest of the clan was up, drinking blood, coffee, and beer and waiting on breakfast being prepared by Ludwig and Francis.

"Guten Morgen," Harold nodded to me as he read through the newspaper. He scanned his eyes over the last column, folded it back up, and handed it to Hathagat in the seat next to him.

When did these guys become so proper? It has to be Ludwig's doing. Maybe Monika as well; none of them are able to say no to her; she's like their little sister.

I stiffened up when dreary-eyed Antonio emerged from the guest room that'd been across from mine and slowly walked to the table.

He stared at Garibald, hoping to make him uncomfortable, but the German was not relenting and held his glare as equally intense.

"Eh....Francis," I shouted into the kitchen.

Francis ignored me, and I got up cautiously and pulled Antonio by the arm, and forced him to take the seat next to me.

I motioned for Hathagat to toss me the newspaper, and he did so. I handed it to Antonio to give him something to do.

"Don't rip it, ja?" I asked him, and he blinked slowly and nodded.

He read the newspaper as slowly as a human, and I took a moment to breathe a sigh of relief and drink a cup of blood Julchen had placed at each seat.

I nodded to Julchen in appreciation, and she huffed and looked away from me.

Long story.

I sighed into the cup and downed it in a single gulp.

"Hungry?" Harold asked worriedly.

"Nein...just exhausted. It's been a week."

He nodded sympathetically.

Before I could relax back in my seat, I heard the sound of paper tearing and turned to see Antonio dropping the remains of the newspaper.

"Toni!" I scolded.

"I was done." He said plainly.

I face-palmed loudly and groaned.

"I wasn't done," Garibald protested, standing up quickly enough the table shook.

Antonio stood up confrontationally, nose flared like his temper.

I stood up, placed my hands on Toni's shoulders, and pushed him back into his seat.

Hathagat grabbed Garibald's arm and tugged it until he relented and sat back down.

I put my head on the table, trying to relax a little, and decided to eavesdrop on Francis and Ludwig.

"Sounds tense out there," Francis fretted.

Ludwig sighed and shook his head, "how long do you think Toni will be in this state?"

Francis frowned as he mixed more pancake batter.

"I don't know. You've known him almost as long as I 'ave. Usually, his scary moments disappear quickly or when a solution is found...so maybe we just need some assurance things will be fine, that we'll get 'er back."

Ludwig nodded and clenched his fists determinedly, "we'll get her back. Knowing her, she probably already escaped."

Francis chuckled, but his worry didn't fade, evident by his sullen expression.