Chapter Eighteen | AlfredXWorries

Alfred
Three Days Ago — Star Clan

LCAC—The lupus control and analyzation center. A company dedicated to solving the difference between regular venom and lupus venom and what the trigger was.

Run by like-minded vampires such as myself, the experiment has been going as planned. Every day I'd get reports about the new theories and discoveries and trials the subjects went through.

Each subject was an aware human who volunteered under the false promise of being turned into a vampire like us.

Many of these people were criminals and people who would have lived much worse lives outside the company. It was a caring and heroic deed to take in such people. Besides, the venom didn't hurt that much when tested; they usually fainted.

Recently lupus have been popping up all over the map but especially in America, especially in the woods.

They were causing a problem for the human-containment-center construction. The humans building it didn't know what they were building, but they were scared by the wolf-like monsters they'd see in the middle of the night. A few workers had even gone missing, one or two turning up as lupus too.

They were preparing for something; a pack was forming, and this was bad news for vampires as a whole.

Maybe they'd found out about my investments in the LCAC and wanted to put a stop to it. I don't see why. After all, it was a favor to them; maybe we could revert their genes to become normal and less unstable. It was my job as a hero to look out for everyone.

This morning I'd been forced out of bed early despite having a long night to answer a call from one of the analysts.

One of the escaped subjects—a known convict—had been found. It was a weight off my shoulders, and everyone else invested.

I called Arthur to let him know we were in the clear again, and our investigations hadn't been revealed. We could've buried them anyway, but it was a pain in the neck.

Ashlyn and Amelia were very happy for me and showed it thoroughly until the late afternoon.

I finally got ready for the day; it'd be another long night, but this time for work instead of fun.

I had my own company, and despite many side kicks to help me run it, I still ended up with too much to do.

Kevin James, my secretary, handed me stack after stack.

Among the papers, I noticed something strange.

A letter requesting an investigation for one of my authors had been sent by the editor disguised as a complaint of lack of work.

Said author was ___. She was the intended and reckless human of a vampire coven. Lack of work wasn't enough to alarm me; after all, she lived with three of the most lustful vampires I knew, and I'm sure they kept her busy whether she was a virgin or not.

I dismissed the complaint and tossed it in the trash to be shredded, but once I was through with my stack of papers, I came across several emails directed to me from HR and my headquarters, also from Tracy Gonzales, inquiring about ___ even though she'd only been unreachable for a day.