Extra I | Terminology

A

Ancients — vampires that are more than five thousand years of age though most aren't called ancients until established as much by vampiric society. Usually, they are recognized by the queen, and it is a status symbol as ancients are prioritized and treated more respectfully.
Ex. Julius Romulus Vargas, Cleo Hassan, Cyrus Persia

Arena — an area in the Queen's castle where vampires are put through physical trials and tests.

Aristocrats — vampires in high standing with the queen. This title is bestowed and not a birthright.
Ex. Vlad is an aristocrat.

Association — a coalition of covens and clans under a treaty of peace. They often gather to share news, keep each other in line, and strengthen their bond.
Ex. The Terra Association

Aura — a presence surrounding humans that, when read in detail, can give away most information—if they know about vampires, if they're a virgin, their personality, if they've been traumatized, etc.
Ex. ___ possesses a Venus Fly Trap Aura

Aware — humans who know about vampires. Their aura usually reveals that they know or knew at one point. It's impossible to determine based on their aura if their memories of vampires were erased or not and can only be confirmed by asking about vampires, which would awaken the lost memories and create a problem again.
Humans found by vampires to be aware are either killed, made pets, turned, or left for the next person to deal with.
Ex. Before death, Alice "Greta" was aware

B

Blood — the main sustenance for vampires. It is not the only thing they can eat but is necessary to live comfortably as they can experience blood withdrawals without it.
Vampires commonly keep jugs or bottles of blood with them unless they are common hunters.
Vampires who do not like to drink blood by itself will add it to humans' recipes.

Blood Exchange — an intimate feeding practice typically done exclusively between mates in which they drink each other's blood or just one drinks from the other. While usually, this doesn't fill them up, it satisfies their hunger temporarily and calms them down significantly.

Blood Preference — Vampires tend to have a preference for blood types or from specific ages, genders, sexualities, auras, etc.
Ex. Most vampires prefer virgin, vegan, and vegetarian blood and dislike blood "dirtied" by alcohol, drugs, or corrupt actions (taste is influenced by the aura)

Bloody Vampire — a secondary term for Red Vampires.

Blood Withdrawal — a condition afflicting vampires who have not had enough blood or have recently had too much and are in the process of going back to a normal dietary routine.
Blood waters down the venom in vampires' veins, so without it, their body stings as the venom attempts to eat what isn't there and burns away their innards which instantly regenerate. The process repeats forever until blood is given to them.
This is a common and severe form of punishment for vampires who break the law and are imprisoned by the queen beneath her castle.

C

Called — some vampires feel an inexplicable draw to a human's blood, even if it is not their preferred type.

Centennials — vampires that are more than a century old.
Ex. Gilbert Beilshmidt, Leon Chun, Roderich Edelstein

Clan — a coven that has grown up to or beyond twenty members. Most covens refer to themselves as clans either way.
Ex. The Porcelain Clan is a true clan with more than one hundred fifty members, whereas the Croix Clan is a coven with only three official members (currently.)