Chapter Twelve | CroixXGreeting

The doorbell rang, and Vasch opened the doors and gestured to me, who'd been the one forced off the couch to help.

"Hallo." I greeted with what was supposed to be a friendly grin, "your attendance is most appreciated," I said awkwardly. This isn't how I talk; it doesn't feel natural. I just did my best to copy Francis when he greets guests.

Francis gave me a thumbs up, and I tried not to grumble.

"Gilbert...you're looking well? How surprising," Arthur greeted.

"Gee, thanks Kirkland," I growled, and he glared at me.

"What? Am I wrong for being surprised?"

No, he technically wasn't. But that didn't mean his comment was appreciated or necessary.

"Let's not be rude, brother," a thick Scottish accent greeted my ears.

I smiled at the redhead, "Allistor, it's been a while," I grinned. This man was a lot of fun, especially when he got drunk on blood. It was always a wild time, but I rarely got the chance to see him.

"Gil," he greeted, "glad to see you here."

I nodded, but before I could catch up, even a little, Jett arrived.

"Gil, I'm glad to see you, mate!" He greeted, "wasn't sure I would catch ya here."

I grumbled, "Is this how everyone is going to greet me?"

He laughed and moved out of the way as the rest of Ivan's clan arrived; looking brighter than usual, they finally had a much-needed break from Ivan.

"Toris," I greeted coldly. We didn't much like each other; we've just never clicked. I was the overbearing, catholic crusading Knight, and he was the steadfast, old-world pagan. Our first impressions weren't great, to say the least.

He nodded and otherwise ignored me. Feliks followed him as they went to say hello to Natalia, whom they had missed unlike her brother.

"Gilbert, what a surprise—"

"The next person to say that gets their lights knocked out, I fickin dare you!" I said, officially pissed.

Elizabetta dragged me away by the collar of my shirt, and Francis replaced me to greet the others.

One by one, the others filed in, and I stayed back, watching wordlessly with Toni.

After a few minutes, Emma came running over to us, looking frantic.

"Toni," she cried and came to a stop in front of him.

He didn't react more than raise one brow as she nervously explained herself. "I'm—I'm so sorry, Toni, he wouldn't listen; he insisted on coming!" She blurted out, and Toni dug his nails deep into the arm of the chair.

Oh shit.

I glared daggers as the tanned man approached with a prideful stride and stood before us.

"João," Toni hissed.

"Good to see you too, Primo," he grinned innocently.

Emma tugged at his sleeve, "Jo, please," she begged him, but João dismissed her, and she grit her teeth in frustration.

"It's been centuries since I've seen you like this," he clucked, and before Toni could stand up to confront him, I stepped in between them.

"Gilbert," he smiled, "you're looking surprisingly well—"