Chapter Seven | SerumXResults

"Enough of that. I have my initial results for the serum taken by ___."

At those words, everyone straightened up and became serious. The atmosphere immediately became tense as we waited for him to continue.

"In my initial observations of the venom under a microscope, I noticed something strange about the venom. Only 20% of it was active," he paused, allowing us to take in this information.

"What this means in the remaining venom is not acting as it should. It is essentially severed from the hive-mind of the venom and is not actively multiplying. From my studies on venom behavioral analysis, this is not in line with its pattern of thinking. As we know, the venom is a conscious...thing...a demon, if you will. It's in its best interest to multiply itself in as many bodies as it can; therefore, when it was introduced to ___'s body, it should have acted appropriately and turned her. But as I said...it's not. I haven't determined why it's essentially acting deceased or if it really is deceased. This means one of two things. Either someone or something has found a way to nullify the venom...or, in the worst-case...how to kill it."

I clenched my jaw and looked around at the others, equally frightened or disturbed. Ludwig also appeared visibly distressed by the information though he did his best to hide it.

"If there is a way to nullify or even kill the venom, what this means is we do, in fact, have a weakness, and someone knows what that is and has produced potentially hundreds of copies of it in serum given to humans. I have a few theories I'd like to discuss. One is that humans like __ are meant to destroy us somehow. Two is that they are the first generation of humans to be immune to venom, making it impossible to turn more vampires in the future. If the second part is true, we are in a dire situation where we have no choice but to kill these experiments or else risk losing our species. If they know how to kill us, they likely will, and if they can make humans immune to us, on top of that, we have no way of surviving by any means other than natural reproduction, which is difficult at best among vampires. Rest assured, however, that that is only a theory, maybe even outlandish, as I do not have proof of what is really happening to the venom, only what it looks like." He paused again, reshuffling his papers with the results.

"I have more...but are there any questions so far?"

Monika nodded and raised her hand. Ludwig nodded to her, and she spoke.

"Does this mean ___ is immune to the venom and cannot be turned into a vampire?"

Antonio, Francis, and I exchanged worried looks.

"Well...Francis, are there any signs that may back up a theory of immunity?"

Francis was visibly upset, a few things on his mind. He wrapped his arm around Toni and looked to me to speak for him.

I sighed and nodded, "ja. First...she ingested unsheathed venom and lived...it did hospitalize her, though, but she recovered fairly quickly. Second, and the only other real occurrence I can think of was when we marked her."

August nodded, as did his brothers, it was a weird and unheard of situation when that happened, but everyone pushed it to the side to deal with Kuro and the revelation he was a Red-vampire.

"Any instances to prove the venom does work?" Ludwig countered, and I nodded.

"We've used it to heal her wounds multiple times and as a substitute for blood but never enough to cause multiplying. Alfred pointed out she has too much in her veins to not be turning, however...." I admitted.

Ludwig looked confused. "When did Alfred become involved?"

"After the trial. He bit her when he realized her marking had completely sealed up."