Chapter 11

A week had passed.

The five of them had been hanging out a lot, sometimes including Zak and Darryl, if they weren't doing their own thing.

It was 8 am on a Wednesday and the five of them stood outside, waiting for the school bell to notify them of their classes.

"Clay, we've never been around yours, have we?" Karl asked, obviously oblivious to Clay's home life.

The blonde's face started to tint pink, Clay's normal outgoing personality shrinking in humiliation.

"Well, uh, my house is old and kind of run down so..." Clay excused with obvious embarrassment in his voice.

"We don't care!" Alex assured kindly and flashed Clay a wide and comforting smile, Nick nodded in agreement.

Clay rubbed the back of his neck in an awkward manner, his face still kind of pink, and shrugged.

"I don't think you'll like it, to be honest," Clay said, relaxing his shoulders.

"Okay then." Karl said, a hint of disappointment in his voice, "We go to mine after school then?"  The cheerful brunette looked at his friends hopefully.

The rest agreed, just in time as the school bell rang.

__________

Clay walked into his classroom, thankfully he wasn't the last one inside.

He took a seat in the back of the classroom and hurried to take his books out of his backpack.

He was in maths and really didn't want the strict teacher to be going off on him.

Clay had realised that his math teacher was homophobic, due to his first week going to the school, that's why he tried to sit in the back and be on his best behaviour every math class.

__________

George was the first one to walk into the classroom, Karl and Alex followed right behind him.

The took a seat near the back of the class, George and Karl sharing a table and Alex sitting at the table in front of them but he had turned his chair to face them.

"So, George," Karl started in a teasing manner, "What do you think of Clay, now that you've known him for a bit longer?"

Alex and Karl tried to keep their laugh in as they watched George's face turn an unhealthy shade of red.

"Well, I'm mean... he's... he's cool, I guess?" George stuttered out.

Karl let out a faint chuckle and looked Alex in the eye, causing both of them to burst out laughing.

"What?" George asked, his face painted with confused expression.

"Nothing, nothing," Alex reassured in a non-convincing tone.

George shook his head and started writing notes down in his English notebook.

_________

When the school bell rang to dismiss them from their first class, Clay let out a shaky sigh of relief.

Just being away from that homophobic piece of shit was a relief itself.

He packed his things hurriedly and rushed out of the classroom, looking around for his friends.

"Hey, Clay!" George waved as the tall blonde jogged up to them, and without knowing, warming Clay's heart at the same time.

"Hey," Clay said, flashing George a bright smile in return, butterflies swarming in each of their stomachs.

"How was maths?" Karl asked.