Chapter 41

[song rec: sweater weather - the neighbourhood]

Last week of school.

Last week in their small town.

Or at least, hopefully their last week in the town they currently lived in.

Clay had noticed that George had been acting off the last two weeks or so, but had just brushed it off each time and blamed it on school, or that the school year was finishing.

But since he hadn't known George for a lot more than maybe a little bit over 9 months, he didn't know how he became towards the end of the school year, so Clay just thought he was like how he was acting now.

He had asked about it once, but the shorter boy had just ignored the blonde, acting like he hadn't heard him so Clay decided to ignore it.

"Have you started packing your things for... you know?" George whispered into the taller boy's ear, having to lean real close to him.

Clay shook his head, averting his eyes that were previously glued to the chalkboard onto the brunette beside him.

"I was planning on starting tonight. Want to help me?" Clay offered, cocking a singular eyebrow up.

George nodded slowly, like he was unsure about something. "I just have to be home by 5pm, I think. Or, at least a little before my parents come home.

Clay nodded, averting his gaze back onto the chalkboard in the front of the whole class where the teacher was explaining something that they'd never use in their lives, George doing the same.

_______

"So when are we leaving?" Karl whispered, ripping off a piece of the sandwich he had and putting it into his mouth.

Nick was fast to slap his hand over the taller one's mouth, earning a muffled yelp in response. "We don't talk here." Nick reminded, sending an angry glare to his boyfriend while removing his hand from his face.

Karl rolled his eyes before taking another bite from his sandwich. "Whatever."

The other five in their friend group sat there, basically third wheeling.

"I think we're leaving on Friday, just after graduation, so having your cars, Karl and Clay, ready by the school parking lot, with our stuff we're taking with us." George said, looking over at the blonde beside him for reassurance.

Clay nodded and smiled reassuringly to the brunette as well, leaning in to place a kiss on George's nose.

"Ugh, you guys are disgusting," Alex said with a gag. "I'm just too cool to have a significant other, screw you guys."

"Significant other? Alex is pan confirmed?" Clay joked, maybe a little too loudly but not loud enough so the whole cafeteria could hear them.

Alex kicked the blonde boy's shin, Clay wincing as the black haired boy glared daggers at him. "Don't be so loud!" Alex scolded, "People can hear you!"

Clay rolled his eyes, ignoring Alex and finding a conversation starter to start talking to George with, leaving the brown haired boy alone.

Alex looked around at the two other couples sitting at their table, each of them engaging in conversation with their own boyfriends, no one even acknowledging Alex's existence.

He ignored it, picking up the sandwich from his lunchbox and taking a bite out of it.

It really didn't take him that long to finish his food, leaving him dying from boredom and with his personality and need to be constantly talking, he tried to shoot something into George's and clays conversation.