t h r e e

"Do I really have to go?" James complained, dramatically tying his shoes.

"Yes, you do really have to go. Miss. Rogers has invited us to dinner and it would be rude not to accept. Her husband died during the world war and she feels bad that dad has gone back to the military. Now shape up that attitude," Jamie scolded, putting on her own shoes.

Now that their father was gone, Jamie took the role of mother and head of house. Even if she hated it deep inside, she did what needed to be done.

If she had a crush on a boy or had fought somebody it was all left outside the house. As soon as she stepped inside she became Jamie. When she was outside she was Becky. It's just how it worked for her.

The walk to the Rogers residence was filled with complaining from James which Becky wouldn't listen to. He finally stopped when Beck knocked on the house door.

Sarah opened the door with a wide smile on her face. "Jamie, James, come in! Come in! How are you both?" She asked kindly, leading them inside as they slid off their shoes.

"We're doing okay. First two weeks have been hard but dad has already sent a letter. We're getting by," Jamie replied as James walked over to the table.

"Do you need any help with dinner?" Becky offered after a moment. If anything, Winifred had taught the girl manners.

"No, dear. I've got it! Why don't you go and head into the living room, I think Steve is drawing again," Sarah said, turning back towards the food.

Jamie followed her advice and walked into the living room. Sure enough, Steve was sitting on the couch drawing something.

"Hey, Stevie. Whatcha drawing this time?" Beck asked nonchalantly, looking around the house.

"Oh, just a dog I saw the other day. But can you believe that the price of coloured pencils went up yesterday? I mean, how could they cripple the art community like that? What if someone was relying on that for a project and now-" Steve began one of his familiar art rants.

Jamie listened intently to what he had to say, nodding every so often. Deep down she always loved these rants, she loved hearing how passionate Steve was about art. How kind he was to other people. She wished she was more like him.

After his rant was over dinner was ready. "Ok, everyone, let's eat!" Sarah exclaimed, setting the table.

All of the children gathered at the table and said grace, digging into another delicious meal.

***

The next two years were hard for Jamie and James. With school, self defence, shooting classes, and being a home maker, Becky had a hard time balancing everything.

She had to split herself in so many different directions it weighed heavily on her. But she was finally getting the hang of everything. She had a system. And with Christmas approaching, she felt confident in the money she had saved. They would be able to have Christmas this year.

Sarah had invited the two over for Christmas but Jamie declined. Her and James wanted a nice family Christmas and in their fathers last letter, he alluded to getting time off to come home. This made them both excited.