t e n

"They look like they've been through hell," Steve said, staring at the combat medics unloading a soldier missing a leg. He sorely wanted to be out there fighting.

"These men more than most," Peggy responded. Steve looked at her, silently asking for clarification.

"Schmidt sent out a force to Azzano. Two hundred men went up against him, and less than fifty returned. Your audience contained what was left of the 107th. The rest were killed or captured," Peggy explained further. Steve took a moment to process before a light bulb went off.

"The 107th?" Steve asked, an immediate feeling of worry coming over him.

"What?" Peggy said, confused as to Steve's sudden change in attitude.

The super soldier jumped up and began running to the General's tent. "Come on!"

"Colonel Philips," Steve stated, getting the man's attention.

The sour man looked up and smiled ironically. "Well if it isn't the star-spangled man with a plan. What is your plan today?" Philips asked sarcastically.

"I need the casualty list from Azzano," Steve ordered. Philips was unfazed.

"You don't get to give me orders, son," the colonel retorted smoothly.

"I just need one name. Combat Medic Jamie Barnes," Steve replied quickly. The colonel looked to Peggy.

"You and I are going to have a conversation that you won't enjoy later," Philips said to the woman. Steve was undeterred.

"Please just tell me if she's alive, sir. B-A-R-" Steve began but was cut off by the Colonel.

"I can spell," Philips said in an annoyed tone, though it changed once he registered the name. "I have signed more of these condolence letters today than I care to count. But the name does sound familiar," he said, shuffling through some papers.

The man turned to Steve with his hands on his hips. "I'm sorry."

***

Beck didn't know how long she had been in the isolation bay. She was still madly delirious but she was feeling better. Which was odd.

Her cough was going away, she didn't have chills anymore and her fever was low.

Zola had been back to check on her and seemed pleased with whatever progress she had made. Becky wasn't repeating her numbers anymore and stared dully at the ceiling.

But then Zola came in. He checked her temperature, pulse, and blood pressure. The man pulled a cart around towards Beck's head.

"My concoction seems to have worked wonderfully. I knew it would. But now it's time to test the next step of the process," Zola explained. He pulled two metal rods from the cart.

Becky recognized them. They were for electroshock therapy, usually done under general anesthesia and for major mental disorders. She was afraid. "What are you doing?" The girl asked weakly.

"You have no need to worry... just relax," Zola taunted. He placed the metal rods on either side of Beck's head and turned on the machine.