t w e n t y - n i n e

It was a very hard trek back through the Hydra facility. Steve and Becky had to go back the way they came, back to the elevator. Steve and Becky had to fight for every step they took, the only sound they could hear was their own panting.

They pushed into the elevator and Steve leaned Becky against the wall so he could close the gate for the elevator. The only constant was the pain. Everywhere. Even phantom limb pain.

"We're... almost there. I'll get us somewhere safe to clean up," Steve promised, bending down at the waist to take deep breaths.

"I am... a nurse... you know," Becky slurred, her only arm held close to her body.

When the elevator arrived at the top of the facility, Steve grabbed Becky again and made for the door. They could feel the bitter wind as they limped through the opening.

Becky closed her eyes, the sudden cold hurting them. But when Steve stopped moving, she forced them open.

King T'Challa was standing before them in his suit. His helmet was off, it was sitting on his hip. Becky let out an exasperated sigh. She was very dead, especially against that man.

"King T'Challa, I know you're angry. But she didn't kill—" Steve began to defend, knowing he wanted revenge for his father.

"Please. I followed you inside the facility. I heard what Helmut Zemo confessed to. I've taken care of him," T'Challa assured, gesturing to the tied-up man on the ground. He was unconscious.

"I almost killed the wrong person. And for that, I am very sorry," T'Challa added, looking sincerely to a battered Becky. "Vengeance almost consumed me. It consumed him, and it consumed your friend. Justice will come soon enough, it is not up to us to enact it."

"I would like to make up for my mistakes and, if you two would like to leave your vengeance behind, I can help you. No one will ever know we were here. I will take you to Wakanda, we can heal you," T'Challa offered, trying to right his wrongs. From what he saw in that building, he knew Becky was a victim of Hydra's crimes.

"Thank you, T'Challa. We're going to owe you," Steve said, he was desperately relieved they didn't have to fight anyone else.

"We'll leave this jet for Stark. Helmut will be a gift for him to take back to Ross," T'Challa said after he opened the back of his jet for Becky and Steve to climb into.

Steve helped Becky in, she was on the verge of unconsciousness herself. She didn't have as much of the serum as Steve did and her body had taken a very bad beating.

He put her on one of the seats and strapped her in. Steve went to sit on the other side but Becky suddenly remembered something and grabbed his arm. He stopped to look at her in question.

"The... book. Get the book. No one else can have it," Becky said desperately. She couldn't handle anyone else having it, having that power over her. It contained everything about the process to create her.

Steve nodded, he assured her he would get it. He limped back to the ramp and leaned out, speaking loudly to T'Challa.

The King came back with the red book in his hands and handed it to Steve before he sat himself in the front of the jet. Steve showed the book to Becky and she laid eyes on it, giving her peace of mind, before she passed out. She was exhausted.