s e v e n

The next morning Beck woke up bright and early. She already had her small bag packed and everything else ready, the girl simply needed to get dressed.

She met the others shipping out to England at the bus stop. It would be taking them to Camp Lehigh in New Jersey, where their plane was waiting for them.

The bus contained a lot of new soldiers reporting for basic training, they took up most of the space. There were two other nurses on the bus, each having mild experience. Lastly, there was one doctor there too.

Beck was very uncomfortable on the ride but continuously reminded herself that she was helping her country win the war. If she couldn't handle an uncomfortable bus ride, she was in the wrong profession.

It took about an hour and a half to get to the military camp. The recruits were yelled at and screamed at as soon as they stepped off the bus. Nurses and doctors were told to separate themselves.

Beck watched intuitively as the recruits were rushed around the base, they all looked stressed. She also watched as the older soldiers ran their miles and did their drills. They were on their way to being deployed.

A man approached the group of medical personnel. "Nurses, Doctor. I'm General Halpmen. Follow me," the General commanded, leading the group through the grounds.

They passed more soldiers being trained and other various activities before walking into the main building on site. It was the administrative building.

"We'll need you all to sign some forms for your plane ride. You'll be riding with some other equipment that we're sending down to London," Halpmen explained, setting forms in front of each person.

Beck read through the papers. It was standard consent and information. To make sure they weren't being forced to go to London.

Becky signed all of them and handed them back over, the others did the same.

"Now you," the man said, pointing to Beck, "Are taking a second flight from London to Italy. I know we said just London but they need trauma nurses down there on the front lines," the General finished. Becky nodded immediately, she didn't care where she had to go.

It was another hour before they were loaded onto a plane containing military equipment. They did have their own seats which was good enough for Beck.

The flight took seven hours. Beck slept for half and read a book she packed for the other.

While she had time to think, Becky pulled her father's dog talks out from her shirt and looked at them. He had fought for his country. She wanted to fight too.

When they landed in London it was 9 pm, a sharp difference from New Jersey.

The base here was much the same compared to Camp Lehigh, considering it was an American base as well.

Beck had little time to admire and look around the base. She was immediately greeted by another general.

"General Thomas. You're Jamie Barnes?" The man asked hurriedly.

"Yes, Jamie Barnes at your service," Becky responded quickly, confused as to what the hurry was.

"Good. Come with me. There's a flight going out to Italy right now. You don't catch that one and you'll have to go tomorrow. They need you tonight," the General explained, pulling the dishevelled girl along with him.