f i v e

Jamie and James were still grieving when all hell broke loose the next day.

A loud banging on the door alerted the two to a presence. Upon opening the door, Becky saw three police officers, followed by Sandra. Son of a bitch.

"Are you Jamie Barnes?" The first man asked, his arms crossed.

"Maybe. Who's asking?" She responded, a stern look on her face.

"We're looking for James Barnes. He's a ward of the state, it's our right to take him," the man explained further.

"I don't know any James Barnes. Definitely doesn't live here," Jamie lied, crossing her arms.

Sandra scoffed. "She's lying. He lives here. She's been giving me trouble."

"I'm afraid we have the right to come inside and look for him," the second officer said.

"No. You are not welcome in my home," Becky defended, standing her ground.

Before she could react, the men pushed their way inside, forcing Jamie back.

Jamie was so angry she couldn't restrain herself. She reached out and slapped the first officer. "You son of a bitch! You are not welcome here! He is my brother! He's not going anywhere!"

The man held his cheek. Now he was angry too. James was still at the table. "That's assault of an officer. But I'll let it slide because I can see you're emotional," he said in a condescending tone.

Beck couldn't believe what she was experiencing. But the officers didn't stop. "That's him," Sandra confirmed, pointing to a petrified James. They moved forward.

Jamie moved back and put herself as a shield in front of James. "He is not leaving this house. Over my dead body, he walks out that door and into some stranger's car," Becky fought. She found James's hand and squeezed it.

"I don't want to go! I want to stay here!" James added, hoping somehow his wishes would be taken into consideration.

"That's not up to you, kid. Ma'am, you need to move. Or you will be moved," the third officer chimed, seeing what Jamie was going to do.

"Bite me," Beck replied fiercely. All of her street fights gave her guts. She wasn't moving.

"Fine. Have it your way," the first man said. He went to grab her arm but she was quicker. Beck swatted his hand away and moved to the other side of the kitchen, still shielding her brother.

It took two of the officers to pull her away from her brother and handcuff her. Sandra and the third officer forced James upstairs while the other two made sure Jamie didn't move. She was pissed. Beyond angry. And more than anything worried.

Ten minutes later, James walked back downstairs, eyes red and carrying a suitcase. "No," Jamie whispered.

"Alright. Say your goodbyes," Sandra said, standing back.

Becky stood and gestured to her cuffs. "You're not going to attack us?" One officer asked tentatively.

"No, asshole. I'd like to say goodbye to my brother before you rip him away from the only family he has," Jamie retorted, scowling as the man took her cuffs off.