s i x

Steve and Sarah attended Jamie's graduation. They combined on a pair of comfortable shoes for Becky, stating that nursing involves being on your feet a lot.

Jamie had applied and been granted entrance to NYU for nursing. She was excited and nervous about the experience. It wasn't what she had hoped for but it was one of the surest ways she would get a job.

She also got a job at a local diner as a waitress. Becky had received a scholarship but she wanted to show the government agency that she had an income and a career plan.

She and Steve celebrated his birthday, not by riding the cyclone but by going back to Rock bay beach.

Because of university and work, Jamie had less time to spend with Steve but she still made it work.

Nursing school was difficult but she was making it. A year into her studies, on her birthday once again, Jamie reapplied to be James' guardian.

But during this time, Sarah was getting sick. She was working so often and so hard, they all thought she was just exhausted.

Jamie tried to help take care of her at home but she wasn't getting better.

They tried to celebrate Steve's birthday. He had moved out to his apartment and Jamie cooked and got Steve a new set of brushes. But still, Sarah declined.

And then Jamie got her second rejection letter. Because she was unmarried and wouldn't have time to take care of James while she was at school. To top it off, they were telling her she couldn't reapply for another three years. But by that time James would be 18 and she didn't even know where he was.

As if this entire situation couldn't get worse, Sarah had to be admitted to the hospital and died in October. They said it was tuberculosis. She didn't have enough money for treatment.

Jamie comforted Steve and did all she could for him. She went to the funeral and honoured her. Becky looked for him after but couldn't seem to find him so she went to his apartment instead. He was there.

"I looked for you. After. I wanted to walk you to the cemetery," Jamie told Steve, walking up the steps to his apartment.

"I know, I'm sorry. I just... kind of wanted to be alone," Steve responded, looking down at the steps.

Becky nodded. "It's ok. I get it. How was it?" She asked, inquiring on how the funeral went for him.

"It was okay. She's next to dad," Steve said sparsely, moving some of his hair from his face.

"I was gonna ask.." Jamie began, thinking of a way to cheer him up. Steve cut her off.

"I know what you're gonna say, Beck. I just..." Steve countered, searching his pockets for the keys to his apartment.

"We can put the couch cushions on the floor, like when we were kids. It'll be fun. All you got to do is shine my shoes, maybe take out the trash," Becky said jokingly. But she noticed Steve was still looking for his keys.

She bent down and moved a brick out of the way, picking up his spare key and handing it to him.

"Come on," Jamie encouraged, looking at Steve with her head tilted.