Bonus: Full Circle

Two years.

They had let it happen for two years.

The air had a crisp chill to it, the last remains of summer swaying away with the light breeze.

Ivy liked to think those two years hadn't been wasted.

She'd started college, for one, alternating between attending classes and working ungodly hours in the dead of night.

She'd found the job on the anniversary of Eben's death.

The date was marked in her brain, like a tether she could hold onto whenever her nightmares startled her awake.
Oddly enough, Faye slept like a baby.

Her nerves were as fierce as her personality, and the predicament that had been hers not so long ago had always managed to keep Ivy up for most of the nights. But not Faye.
Never Faye.

Faye hadn't gone to college.

On one of the rare days they could still make time for each other, they'd gone to San Francisco, and Faye had taken up some unexpected modeling contract offered by another face in the crowd.

She worked every other day.

Her career was in full swing, having been discovered by numerous agencies for her supernatural charm.

Whenever necessity required her out of Chance Harbor, Ivy studied and swung by the smallest nearby town, that of Crowhaven End.

She knew the way by heart: a small ravine and some miles away out of Chance Harbor, the sign to New Salem and a few roads down the pebbled roads to find another sign, larger by a millimeter.

The road wasn't pebbled there.

She usually took a right, and then another and kept driving ahead for a few minutes before she reached her destination.

Madame Zelia's pawnshop saw a variety of clients, all eccentric in their own personal ways.
On good days, Ivy only had to check the register once every two hours, and on those days, she could retreat into the back of the shop, toward the real reason she'd taken up work in this dumpster of a place.

You see, Madame Zelia's pawnshop and antiquary gave way to an herbal garden. This garden, protected by the glass dome of a greenhouse, was essentially shielded from the conspiratorial human eye.

It hosted the most exotic plants Ivy had ever seen, dug up from nearly all realms ever known to witches.
Over the years, she'd managed to get a hang of all of them, finding out all their magical properties, the way they could serve Nature's true purpose.

The way they could bring about destruction and quite possibly the end times.

But amongst the numerous bushes, bright flowers and ceiling-high branches, lay a chest.

It was made of wood, its contents fastened with brass knuckles that glistened under the moonlight and large veins spreading across the surface, showing way toward the ominous book perched on top.

A book of Shadows.

Zelia's own precious book of Shadows.

She was allowed, under certain circumstances to use the book.
To flip through its contents and learn and use whatever sparked her interest. To explore all that she was and all that she would ever be. She was a demi-god, after all.

Her life hadn't changed much after that revelation. Neither Zeus or Persephone had come down from Olympus to find her for some sketchy family dinner. Not even to blame her for Hades' predicament. She liked things this way.