12. Witness

A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE

Cassie called and as we all not wanted, Jake was back

Faye was still mad and last but not least I still couldn't find that damned ring.

Out of all those bad news, there was a sliver of goodness because I'd called Hope's mom and she'd assured me that her daughter was a little shaken but otherwise okay after the fire at the dance.

Today wasn't a school day and thank god for that because after the night I'd had, my will for school was straight out the window.

Mom had a meeting with a client inside the house and I didn't feel that much energy to stay in my room and depress over everything so naturally, I went to the abandoned house.

I knew where Diana kept her Book of Shadows for safekeeping and also that she wouldn't mind me using it or anyone else, really, as long as that person wasn't Faye.
I took it out of under the rotten stairs, climbed onto the mezzanine and plopped down onto the hard floor, crossed legged and without a care in the world.

A little haven was all I needed right now but I'd been so engrossed in flipping the pages, looking for anything interesting or even anything that could remotely lead me to knowing more about the ring that I hadn't noticed anyone coming in until I heard their voices.

''I'd snuck into the back seat and under a blanket,''

My ears perked up at the voice. It couldn't be.
He'd left town.
''And when we arrived to that boatyard, they parked, went out onto the ferry. I waited until they couldn't see me and followed.''
Jake or not, I didn't like much where this was going.
''I snuck up onto the boat and that's the last thing I can remember.''

If he was talking about what I thought he was talking about, the boatyard fire was in 1995; that would have made Jake three going on four.
He couldn't possibly remember all of that. Could he?

A door creaked open and a new voice came in, followed by another. Cassie and Adam.
''He was at the fire sixteen years ago. Whatever he saw was bad enough that he's blocked it out completely.''

''So?''

Jake's voice came again but I dared not to look through the bars of the mezzanine. I didn't want them catching me up here even though there was no room for doubt, Jake was back.
''Years I've been working on a memory spell. To take me back to that day. So we can find out what really happened.''

''So what makes you think the spell will work now?''

''Cassie,'' Jake stated simply, ''and her dark magic.''

''Is the spell safe?'' Adam asked and I started going down from the mezzanine as discreetly as I could.

''The only risk is if the mind disconnects from what's real.'' The hell did that even mean?