13. Medallion

SOMETHING BURIED THAT SMELLED LIKE ROT

''I can't believe I'm going out with you of all people

''I can't believe I'm going out with you of all people.'' I said as my legs jumped, avoiding a pothole in the pavement.

''You make it sound like we're dating,'' Jake answered and stepped aside as I did.

''We're not?'' He cast me a look and put his hands in his jacket pockets as I held the bags tighter.

''I wouldn't date a girl so into someone else. I'm not a masochist.''

''Could have fooled me there,'' I rolled my eyes and continued walking alongside him as we passed a coffee shop. ''And I don't have feelings for Faye.''
I sent him a pointed look and balanced the take out bags between my hands but his smirk got if anything, wider.

''Who said anything about Faye?''

I sighed wearily as he came to a stop, forcing me still as well and looked behind me.
''Speak of the Devil and she shall-''
''You're back!''
A chill went up my spine at the voice that cut Jake and I spun around to a smug looking Faye walking out of the coffee shop and already to us, a paper cup in one of her hands.
''Had to make sure Adam and Cassie didn't get to second base, huh?'' Faye blew air over her cup and brought it to her lips as her eyes went from Jake to me.

''Jealousy is a bitter bitch, Faye.'' The words left my mouth before I could stop them, cutting Jake off in the process.

The girl didn't surprise or even the least bit angry, as she rolled her eyes and put the cup away from her lips.
''I heard witch hunters killed your parents. I know you, Jake. You want payback.''

''What's your point?'' I was still part of the conversation but didn't utter a word as Faye looked solely at Jake.

''You're going the wrong way with Cassie. She's not the type.'' I clutched to the paper bags in my hands even tighter if that was possible, ''She's not your type.''

Gee, thanks.

''Thanks, doc.'' Jake seemed beyond nonchalant. Had he had a good night sleep?
''Why don't you go deal with your sense of powerlessness and... burn down another school?'' Jake shrugged but his eyes never left hers, gauging her reaction with his own tired look.

The bags started to weight a ton on my heavy arms so I reached out and took Jake's hand out of his pocket.
I placed one bag around his wrist and put the hand back where I'd found it so the bag was dangling from his forearm.
If Jake had cast a look at my actions, he didn't protest.
If anything, he let his arm fall back limply at his side, this time carrying the bag in his hand.