2. Bound

ONE OF MANY

After the creepy less-than-encounter with Jane Blake and her window, I'd gone home to find my mom sipping wine on the couch but I'd barely gotten to tell her goodnight that already Trent was calling and had had all her attention

So much for her recovering daughter.

The following morning, I was roaming through the hallways, on my way to first period, already late since I'd had to hand over my assignment to Miss Buckheimer, when something dashed out of a corner and came running at me.

''Oh, hey,'' I dropped my books and raised my head, realizing who had bumped into me.

''Cassie, are you okay?''
She seemed panicked for some reason and was running right out of the lab, safety goggles still on and everything. Her jaw dropped slightly and her mouth opened as she prepared to answer, but a voice sounded behind us.

''Cassie, wait!''

Adam caught up with us but Cassie didn't hold her breath and took off running again, hardly sparing me another glance.
Adam, though, did and even looked sympathetically at me and my books on the floor but I sent him a shrug and tilted my head in the blonde's direction.

''Go get her. She seems like she needs help.'' He nodded and didn't wait a second to run off while I collected my books.

                                                 ☾

I didn't know where Adam and Cassie were, but no one at school seemed to have seen them.
The football team had been training almost all day and Sally had said that she'd only spoken to Cassie this morning. Although around lunchtime, Diana had fed me on the latest news, which happened to be, shocker, Faye had been messing with Cassie, and right from first period.

I was now at the annual Chance Harbor Fair with Nick, having caught up with him behind school since I'd had free period.
We'd been roaming around the fair for a while until we'd caught sight of Faye and Melissa by a booth.

''Boo!'' Nick nudged as he startled Melissa, making her miss her aim at the game she was playing.

''I win.'' Faye had a smirk on her face as Melissa only retorted that Nick had broken her concentration.

''Hey girls, have you seen Adam and Cassie?''
My question actually got Melissa thinking for a minute.
''Not since this morning. Why?''

''Let them be. They're probably smooching somewhere. But what I'm more interested in,'' Faye turned from her game to me, ''is why you're suddenly so interested in them, Ivy. Got a soft spot for Adam? Or is new girl more your type?''

I could have rolled my eyes but it wouldn't have been enough, so I scoffed.

''Says the girl who's been out with Jake Armstrong, of all people.'' Faye threw me a glare and even with her eyes solely focused on me, she threw another ring at a pole and, thanks to her magic, won.