20. Traitor

AN OLD NEW FACE

I hadn't thought of dad in a long time nor had I seen him, but I was, against all odds, grateful

Only a week ago I had been hugging him and happy that he was back but now... ever since we'd visited Jake's grandfather, my mind kept replaying the same thing.

Andrew Celestin, possibly not even his real name.

So my name wasn't Celestin either.
Not to mention I could probably have a sibling out there.
I hoped it wouldn't be one of those evil/good twins match because this sucked enough as it was.

And now, a wake. The one of Jane Blake at that.
There were enough old people present to fill a bingo hall but I left mom at the entrance and went through the house to find Cassie.

''Can you drop this on the table on your way?'' Mom passed me the bowl of cookies as she caught sight of Dawn away.
The two had kissed and made up earlier in the month and were back to being best friends.

''Sure,''
The first table that I found had Dawn's purse next to it but I didn't mind as I set the cookies down.

And to say the last thing I'd ever dropped at this house had been cookies as well.
This was rather a sad joke than a funny one.

''Oh, hey,'' I turned around, only to bump into Diana, ''Have you seen Cassie?''

Diana didn't speak, she just pointed behind me and walked away.
Wow, odd much?
She wasn't the one who'd lost her grandma, but okay.

''There you are!'' A voice sounded beside me and I turned to see Faye walking toward me. ''I've been looking everywhere for you.'' She looked around at all of late Jane's friends. ''This sucks.''

''Yeah, poor Cassie.'' I looked around too and caught sight of a familiar blonde head in the crowd.
Only it wasn't the one I was looking for.

''Jake?'' He all but ran to us.

''Is it true? Witch hunters did it?'' He seemed as if he hadn't slept at all last night with his dark bags and blood shot eyes.

''That's what Blackwell said.'' Faye answered but I didn't say anything.
If Blackwell said then...

''We can't just sit here and let them get away with this!'' Jake's voice rose and people all around turned to us.

''And we won't,'' Faye assured ''but right now there are sad, fragile old people here. Let's not give them a heart attack with angry threats.''

''Calm down, Jake.'' His gaze moved to me and I could now see just how tired he really was.
The blonde head I've been looking for finally popped up in the crowd now, amongst the elders and I had to excuse myself.
''We'll figure it out, eventually.''