5. Slither

DEMONIC INTENTIONS

Mom had driven me to school today, on the grounds that she too, needed to be there

''Why again?''

''Because,'' she took a sip of her coffee, ''I'm meeting with Dawn, remember?''
I sighed and picked at my seatbelt, pulling at it on the way.
''What? You would have liked me to hide this little entrevue from you?''

''You mean, like what you did last time?'' I asked and worried at my lip right after but she threw me a look over her jug.
''I'm sorry. I get it. You don't have to tell me everything you do, just... if there is anything you need to talk about, I happen to have ears,'' I pointed without looking at her.

She hummed and put the jug back into the cup holder, ''Very well functioning ears, I get it, but I'm fine. I'm just, visiting an old friend.''

''I'm sorry, mom. I know how close you and Dawn are. But this time of the year must be-'' I stopped mid sentence and looked even farther down if that was possible.

Mom reached out and took my chin between her hands, lifting it up so my eyes met hers.
''Hey. There is no bad word to be said here, okay? There was a fire a long time ago and people died. It was a tragedy, yes, but there is nothing that you can't talk about with me. Do you copy?''

To be fair, mom and Dawn had been pretty good friends for years after the fire but whenever you brought it up, the two would try and avoid each other at all costs.

''I do,'' I nodded and reached to my side to unfasten the seatbelt.
''Just, wait a couple of seconds before you walk on campus. At least until I'm in the building.''

Upon hearing my comment, she hit my arm playfully and I turned to grin at her.

I was already reaching for the doorknob when her own hand stopped mine.

''I mean it, Ivy,''
I was forced to turn back to her.
''If there is anything, and I mean anything, that you need to tell me about, I'm here, and I'm not going anywhere.''

Her gaze was solely focused on me but her hold on my hand started to hurt so I gently pushed her away.
''Yeah, I know that.''

The sinister look on her face was gone as soon as it came and she flashed a smile with her pearly white teeth.

''Have a great day, honey.''

                                                 ☾

I'd wanted to catch up with Cassie but one look toward the bus and more especially Diana and I was running away in the other direction.

I still hadn't confronted the brunette about the slight argument we'd had but I didn't want her to snap at me again.
I was kind of over it already, even though I hadn't liked the way she'd talked to me yesterday.