16. Lucky

UNLIKELY ALLIANCES

The familiar stranger just stood there for a minute, his eyes glued to my face

I was grateful that he wasn't looking me up and down because that would have made me feel so small, but his staring was so intense that it did a bit anyway.

I on the other hand, felt the need to back away slightly but I still held on the doorknob tightly, for support among other things.

''I'm sorry,'' he breathed out and even though he harbored a seemingly happy face, he made no move to step closer, which I was thankful for. ''You just look so much like your mother. You really are beautiful.''

If my mind knew that it was a compliment, my body did not and tried to move backward at last.

''No, wait!'' The stranger raised a hand just as I slapped the door in his face, so that I could still see the tips of his fingers on my side of the door.
He didn't need any help to open it now, but still made no movement to invade my privacy and my home.

''Can I... talk to you? Please?''

''Who are you?''
And why do you look so much like my dad?
I would have liked to ask as well but my lips didn't want to accept any possibility yet.

He had a half charming smile, half groggy but his eyes stopped to sparkle a moment.
''Can I please come inside? I'll explain everything.''

The fact that I actually stopped to consider it should have been in itself a big evidence that my mind was not one hundred percent clear.
But years and years of Supernatural had taught me that the world was a freaky place.
If witches existed, why not shapeshifters?
Or even shape shifting witches?

''No,'' I answered and the man didn't bother to hide his disappointment as he nodded.

I mean, come on, his arms looked much stronger than mine and his shoulders... even with a trench-coat, everyone could see that.
His head also hovered way above mine so the fact that I was even talking to him at all was a risk on its on.

''I understand.'' He started again and lowered his head.
His hands were in his pockets all throughout now, but he didn't seem to mind. ''You've had an eventful night, right? Months, you could say.''

''You need to leave-''
''Ivy, I don't want to hurt you,''
You kind of showed up here in the middle of the night but please, do continue. ''In fact, I need to speak with you, about how you can be safe.''

''Who are you?'' My eyes narrowed into slips but he seemed to remain collected even as he answered.

''What you just said. Your dad.''
His smile took upon his entire face now, so much that the little wrinkles below his eyes folded themselves up even more.