6. Wake

ONE OF A FEW

If I hadn't felt it, I wouldn't have believed it when Adam told me

I couldn't explain how I'd just known or even felt that he was drowning but until I could make it seem legit, I couldn't tell anyone, not even the circle.
I mean, after the whole lot of crazy things that we've been through I figured they would understand but I didn't know how to... explain it.
Especially not so suddenly after Nick's death.
After all, the wake was today.

''Knock knock.'' Mom had to be standing there in the threshold for minutes already when I wiped away the tears I'd shed. ''Are you okay?''

''Been better,'' One look at her and I knew she'd noticed my tear-stained cheeks.
''Come sit with me, please.'' I patted the spot beside me so she did just that and came beside me on the bed.

The second she was down, I put my head on her chest and let her bring her arms around me.

''Shh, it's okay.''

''The others,'' I sobbed, ''they're preparing the wake and I havn't made so much as cookies.''
I cried into her shoulder. Nick really was dead.
''We've got to pick pictures. I don't even know if I have any with Nick.''

''But you do,'' she caressed my hair, ''remember that day in Hudson Fields?''

My head snapped up to meet her eyes and I doubted mine were as dry as I hoped them to be.
''The first one or the one when Faye dumped her slushee on me?''

''Slushee day, baby,'' she let go of my hair at last, but only to put a hand on my thigh.
''The-''
''The haunted house, yeah, I remember now. Faye had screamed her lungs out when the clown burst out of nowhere and Nick had run away from the chasing witch.'' Ha, the irony of that one.

''You ran after him for nearly half an hour and once he'd calmed down enough, you told him that he didn't have to be scared, that you were there, holding his hand all the way.'' Mom continued for me.

''And I held onto his hand till the end of the day.''
Mom nodded and I let out a dark chuckle.
''Then Faye dumped the slushee.''

''Then she dumped the slushee.'' She confirmed and rose from the bed, finally letting go of me altogether. 

''I can't believe the only picture I have of him is one in which I have a slushee stained dress. A cherry flavored slushee stained dress, at that.''

Mom smiled and walked two steps to the door once I was steady enough.
''You've got plenty of time before the wake. Take a shower and meet me downstairs. We'll cook something up.''

I hummed and nodded as she left. I waited for two minutes, just picking at my nails but then, just as swift as in movies, I got up and went to rummage through the whole floor, in hope to find the slushee picture.