7. Masked

THE ONE WHERE THEY ALMOST DID IT

The creepy doll stared at me so I had no choice but to stare right back at her

Cassie was looking around at random objects, clutching to her bag as if the first person to walk by would run away with it and Faye was caressing some knives by the creepy scorpion somewhere over there.

I hadn't realized Cassie had taken Faye's place until the brunette came out with a sort of feathery tiara on her head and-
''Oh my god! Faye!'' She turned to me and put both of her hands on each of her collar bones, biting her lip slightly on the way.

''What do you think?''

The necklace was large enough so that it covered her whole chest but left very little to the imagination about down below and her back.

''Those are ancient artifacts,'' Cassie's agape mouth formed a sentence, ''they're not a... costume.''

Faye spread her arms and pointed to the necklace that stood just about her belly button.
''Whatever. I'm a sexy witch doctor.''

''Take it off. We shouldn't be attracting attention to ourselves.''

Cassie clutched her bag tighter and strode to the next bunch of artifacts, leaving us girls to go back to her creepy knives in another aisle.

Faye waited until she was around a table before turning fully to me.
''So, do we have a positive vote?''
She inquired and put her hands on the necklace as she smirked down at it but her lopsided smile couldn't have fooled me or anyone else for that matter.

She knew I was still mad at her over Nick's wake and I had done my best to avoid her so far, doing amazing at school and showing up early -because she was always late- at the abandoned house.

''It's nice.'' I could have added that Cassie was right but it would have got a reaction out of Faye and then this reaction would have turned into a conversation and I definitely didn't want that to happen.

I turned and walked around and toward new artifacts, as far away from her as I could.

She huffed but strode over to Cassie and started making conversation with her instead as they walked through the store.

I did the same but in the opposite direction and just as I looked back around, I caught sight of a pedestal a little farther aside from the others, one that the sun seemed to be shining on significantly brighter.

Inside the glass were different artifacts, all of which were scattered around in a circle, as if trapping the very artifact in the middle.
This one, unlike the others, was propped up on a tiny pedestal of red velvet, way too big for what it was.

I studied it closer and surely, under the object was a squared paper with the exact description of it.

LeBlanc family's ring