4. Heather

THE GIRL WHO KEPT SCREAMING

Two minutes into the hallway and I'd already spotted both Melissa and Faye

I'd seen Diana and Cassie earlier and had interrupted Adam in the middle of talking with Luke for the sole purpose of greeting them before they went to class.

Melissa huffed and walked away angrily just as I approached, bumping her shoulder with mine on the way out.
''Oh, hey, Mel-''
''I have to get to class.'' She cut off without even looking at me as she walked and turned in the next corridor.
Was she alright?

''What have you done to piss her off now?'' I walked up to Faye, and I had to say that I was surprised to see that her locker was already open.
Had she tried the combination this once?

''This is going to come as a shock to you,'' she put her books away without even turning to me once, ''but not everything is my fault.''

''Oh I didn't mean-''
''Yes, you did. Never mind. See you in Art.''
What was it with everyone around here today?

''I like your hair, today.'' I croaked out and pressed my books to my chest, wondering if I'd get a reaction out of her.
My prayers were -somewhat- answered when she turned around for a second, only to cast me an incredulous look.

I had to look back for that second but the very next, she was already out of the door.
And here I thought we'd had a great chat yesterday!

                                                ☾

''Are you kidding? You bounded with Faye?'' Diana opened big eyes nevertheless, we continued to walk to English.

''I wouldn't exactly call it bounding per se. Let's just say she wasn't as bitchy as usual.''

Diana huffed, ''I'd like to see that.''

''Now you're talking? Weren't you the one who kept asking for world peace?''

''Look,'' we came to a stop in the hallway and she stood before me, crossing her arms over her chest.
''I didn't say we all have to be bffs but it's better to stick together, given... our condition.''

''Hm,'' I adjusted my bag over my shoulder, ''you mean getting linked together with a bunch of people I'd barely even talked to before last summer? Oh, and let's not forget a new girl of whom I know absolutely nothing about? That condition?''

Diana laughed and looked around, left and then right. No one was in plain earshot.
''Could have been worse. I mean, you could've got linked together with a bunch of strangers.''

''Okay, that's not possible,'' I defended, ''because a) this is a ridiculously small town and b) you'd have to be blind, deaf and possibly mute to not have at least heard of Faye Chamberlain.'' Resident bad girl, queen bee, Regina George Junior, and the list went on and on.