19. Crystal

GRANDPAS KNOW BEST

I hadn't taken the ring out of its box since I'd taken it off, but I just couldn't stop staring at the container even as it sat on the wardrobe, too far up for me to reach -since it turned out that dark magic had its perks

The door rattled as if someone were pounding on it, which was probably the case, and I ran downstairs immediately.
Mom had come back slightly drunk from her night out with Trent, and I didn't want her answering anyone under those circumstances.

When I got at the end of the stairs though, she was already at the door and seemed as energetic as a ray of sunshine or at least her back did.

''No, you're not seeing her.''

''Please, Claire,'' Oh, I knew that voice, ''it's important.''

Mom chuckled darkly and even though her arm on the door blocked my view of the man's face, the trenchcoat and the shoes told me all I needed to know who it was.

I walked to her quietly and once I was behind the open door, I took a hold of the doorknob.
''It's okay, mom.''

She looked better than last night, actually, much better. As if nothing had happened with Trent.
Nevertheless I was glad she was having fun, even if I didn't like Trent.

She looked to me for a second before her icy eyes went back to the person behind the door, still on the porch.
''I'll be in the kitchen.''

I nodded and she walked away, giving me her spot on the threshold.

''Can I help you?'' I hoped not.

John smiled nonetheless, hands as ever in his pockets and his collar rolled up.
''Hello, Ivy. I trust you've had a good night?''

''Diana and Faye left earlier this morning if you're looking for them. As for your little minion in Chief, he went back to his house yesterday.''

John chuckled without smiling and looked down for a second.
''I'm not looking for Jake or any of the others. I came here to speak to you. May I come in?''

''You may not.'' I held the door tighter as my palm started burning up on the knob.
I meant actually burning the knob with magic.
I quickly retracted my hand and put it on the side of the door.

''I understand. I've come to tell you to meet us all at the house later on today. We have a few things to discuss.'' He sounded serious at that.

''There's no way I'm-''
''I know you don't agree with everything I say,'' he cut me off and I tried to do the same with a scoff, much too polite to interrupt an adult, ''But we have a situation on our hands. We have to defend ourselves,''

I tried to speak but he interrupted me again, ''How about this: We'll make no unnecessary casualties.''

''Meaning?''